1.

Growing up I moved around a lot. My mother and I never settled in one place for longer than two months. I had never actually gone to school since every time we moved we knew we would be leaving. This time. I'm hoping this time will be different. My mom decided to move back to where I was born, Hackensack, New Jersey. She even enrolled me in their middle school. I have hopes for a permanent home.

    Never in my entire 14 years on this Earth was I this nervous about something. Today is my first day at school. I was both nervous and excited. I woke up earlier than usual today and could not fall back asleep. I sat in my bed for an hour before I decided to start getting ready for school. As I got ready I was dancing around my room and singing "We Got the Beat" by the Go-Go's. My closet was quite empty. All that was in it was a gray cropped hoodie and a pair of dark blue, high waisted, ripped jeans. I put what I had on and threw on a pair of black sneakers. My bag was downstairs in the car so I ran down the stairs. My mom was waiting for me in the kitchen. She made scrambled eggs and bacon. I sat down at the table and ate. When I was finished I cleaned off my plate and brushed my teeth. When I finished brushing my teeth I ran outside to the car. Tiffany, my mom, started the car and off we went.

    The car ride to school was silent. Deep down I knew my mom didn't want to send me to school. I had to convince her to allow me to attend this school. The entire car ride she didn't say a single word to me. After the car stopped she finally spoke to me.

"Del?" She said softly.

"Yes mom?" I smiled.

"Are you sure?" She unlocked the doors.

"Mom, I am sure." I opened my door.

"Remember, your dad is Cameron Ray. He died in a car accident years ago and your mother is Talia Ray. You can't let anyone find out who you are." She said,

"I understand mom! I'll see you after school." I stepped out of the car.

"Del!?" She yelled my name.

"Mom, I'm going to be late." I walked back towards the car.

"I love you." She smiled.

"I love you too mom." I shut the door and walked towards the front door.

    When I walked into the building I followed the sign that led to the office. As I walked to the office I looked around me. Students were laughing, arguing and kissing. Once I entered the office everything went silent. There was no noise. I walked towards the front desk.

'Hello! I am here to pick up my class schedule?" I rang the bell at the desk.

"Name?" A petite, blonde woman said as she began to type.

"Delilah Camille Ray." I smiled and looked behind me.

"Okay go pick it up off the printer." The woman pointed to the corner of the office.

"Thank you." I smiled and walked away.

    I grabbed my schedule. First period was English. I always enjoyed reading. I followed the instructions on how to get to the classroom. The day went on. English, History, Art, Math, Gym, and lunch. Nothing interesting happened until Biology. As I walked out of the cafeteria I bumped into someone.

"Oh my. I am so sorry." I helped them pick up their books.

"It's fine. It's fine um hi are you new here?" They smiled at me.

"Is it that obvious?" I chuckled.

"No, no. I've just never seen you around before." They were staring at me.

"Oh um well yeah I'm new." I smiled at them.

"Oh my apologies, my name is Devon. Devon Evans and you are?" He stretched his hand out towards me.