5-Popcorn Drama

Hello Diary,

I'm in San Jose. It's been a busy couple of days unpacking stuff and getting over the jet lag. It is still there.

The city is beautiful and vibrant. There is such an amazing cultural diversity here. I've seen Americans, Europeans, Africans, Chinese, Japanese, Indians, and so many others. They thrive together. And there are sooo many Indians. They are literally everywhere here!

It quite reminds me of Bangalore. Both are silicon Valleys after all. I also thought this city was more about tech stuff and all that, but there's a lot more to it. There's so much culture in music, art, and dance. Exhibitions and open markets happen all the time. I've heard there are a lot of cultures involved in the food department too; I'm yet to see that. The buildings are beautiful, there are many heritage ones. The sidewalks are wide and neat. There are beautiful flowering trees everywhere. Everything is insta-perfect. And, there are street cars! I loved them. This city is love. 

PS: I'm re-reading Pride and Prejudice. And I know it's the tenth time. There is this street called Santana Row, which has a European vibe to it. And my mind promptly went back to that book.

***

When she is not enjoying the city, Pooja also wonders about the strong, muscular arm that might have existed inside the honey-brown leather jacket sleeve when she shook hands with him.

And wishes that she had said a 'Yes' instead of throwing an idiotic smile and practically running away from the drinks section when he had asked her if they would be meeting again.

She learns that the Andersons live on Alberta Road, the one just behind theirs. That very thought is so exciting. She briefly wonders if she is brave enough to visit him, and then, promptly tells her brain to shut the hell up. Instead, she spends her time slowly going through the pictures she has clicked, backing them up, selecting and deselecting, and sending the best ones to her mother and friends. On the fourth evening, when she is watching Indian news on the TV, Dhruva appears at her elbow.

'There's a small dinner night tomorrow. You're invited' he plonks down beside her.

'Again?' She turns around, surprised. 

'No, this one's just the six of us. Bella, Jessica, Henry, Phelan, you, and I' he counts his fingers.

Pooja's ears prick up as she hears a very particular name.

'Okay, you guys are friends. Why me? I'm sure they just invited me for formality' she tries for disinterest.

'Of course not, it was Phelan who invited you' Dhruva remarks.

'So?' she asks after five seconds.

'He has a thing for you' he shrugs.

'What nonsense!' Pooja sits up straight. What should I wear? Her mind starts racing meanwhile. Should I leave my hair free or tie it up? Should I put on some makeup? 

'Really? Have a look at.....this, then' he scrolls through his iPhone and drops it onto her lap. .She picks it up and studies the screen. It has a whole lot of text messages from Henry.

Hey, Phelan wants to see that so-called famous dance video of your sis.

Send the link or whatever.

And btw

I think something's brewing 💗☕

'This is not true' she protests meekly, handing him the iPhone back, trying to ignore her spinning head. 'Nothing is brewing!'

'So, this is not a triple date, is it?' Dhruva wants to know.

Of course yes, she glees privately.

'Of course not' she says with a serious face.