24-I Say it Now

'Pooja, what is it?' Mrs. Jaya walks briskly toward the smaller stage.

Pooja doesn't reply.

'Nobody is in the mood to see your marvellous dance now' Paartha comments, wandering near the stage. Phelan trails behind him, looking blank.

Pooja lowers the mike. 'Shut up. Can you please call Appa? He hasn't left alva? I want everyone to be here'

Paartha frowns, and walks away. He arrives a minute later with the PC, who is on his phone. By now, everybody is looking at her. Most of them are seated on the lined plastic chairs and those who were standing, are rooted to the spot. There is a lowkey murmur all over. Even the activity on the actual stage goes pale. The wedding is almost done and the decorations for the evening reception are about to begin. The bride and groom are still on the stage, finishing up the rituals.

'Sorry, Rohan' Pooja turns to look at the groom. 'I know this is your big day. But I'm sure I won't have mine if I don't do this now. Bear with me for five minutes please'

Rohan looks at her blankly.

'So....I know you all have been hearing rumors about me..and talking about it with great interest' Pooja looks at everyone. 'That I'm involved with an American boy'

People look a little flabbergasted even as they whisper among themselves.

'Pooja, get down' Mrs. Saroja says.

'It's true. I love him. His name is Phelan, and he's right here' Pooja points to him.

Phelan's heart skips a beat at this announcement. He can't believe she said that out loud.

Mrs. Jaya and Mrs. Saroja gasp at this. The PC lowers his phone. Paartha snorts in amazement and crosses his arms.

Everyone else turns to look at Phelan, even though they have seen and stared at him enough already.

Phelan looks around in an alarmed fashion. 'Hey there' he waves at them, and turns to Pooja questioningly. She gives him a reassuring nod. I will set everything straight today, she thinks.

'Could you say that again? Louder?' Phelan signals to her. 'Just once more'

Pooja looks momentarily confused but obliges. 'Yes, that's right. I love him'

Phelan gives a side long glance at the PC and smiles truimphantly. The PC looks dazed as he catches Phelan by the eye for a split second.

'Pooja!' Mrs. Jaya's voice brims with anger. 'What are you doing?'

'Listening to what my heart says, Maa' she says firmly and turns to her father.

'Appa, I just hate threatening someone like this, but there's no choice left' Pooja takes a long breath. 'If you try to harm Phelan...in any possible way ever...I think you'll be losing your daughter'

The PC goes very still at this. Even Phelan looks considerably stunned.

'What are you saying, you senseless girl?' Mrs. Jaya asks irritably, and gets promptly ignored.

'You know I've never had a boyfriend till now. Ever' Pooja speaks. 'School. College. None. Maybe it was because my father is a police officer. But, at one point I even thought I wasn't normal'

Mrs. Jaya frowns at this. 

'Who told you are normal?' Paartha asks casually, and turns to Phelan. 'Did you tell her?' 

Phelan is at a loss for words.

Pooja makes a quick face at her brother, and looks back at the audience.