3-Bourbon, Neat

'Bourbon for my friend here'

'Bourbon. Neat' Phelan rests his elbows on the bar counter, and pushes back his black hair, making his strong jawline even more prominent. He leans on the counter.

'Wow' the friend awes. 'So that makes you either kissed or pissed'

'Option B' Phelan says dryly. 'Dick'

They are lounging lazily on ox-blood-colored metal barstools at the drinks section of the Willow Glen community hall. The friend continues to look at him questioningly.

Phelan exhales and pushes a magazine that he has been staring at since morning. The friend peers at it.

'10 eateries at Santana Row street you can't skip when you visit San Jose' says the cover title.

'Nice Title' the friend admits. 'Is Rolls n' Cream in there?'

'No' Phelan says shortly.

The friend dutifully mourns for a minute.

'It doesn't matter anyway. Aren't you having real good turnovers?'

'Of course, it matters!' Phelan snaps, irritated.

They finish their glasses in silence. He's just pissed coz that Bella dumped his ass, his friend thinks privately. He's the last one to care about a stupid magazine article.

'It does matter. I need something. A USP. Something to get noticed a lot more' Phelan says slowly, fidgeting with his empty glass.

'Live music? Interior makeover?' the friend asks. 'Larger bar counter?'

Phelan shoots him a dirty look.

'It's true man, a freaking dance floor is the key!' He slams his palm on Phelan's back loudly. 'You need to just stand on that damn floor and the hot girls will go gaga! Like that one'

Phelan turns slightly to his right to see a smiling girl with a tequila shot in her hand, gazing at him. Phelan returns the smile with his own cocky version of it. The girl smiles wider.

'Yes, a dance floor with a live band it is' the friend concludes happily.

'It is not' Phelan turns back. 'We need something more. Something else. For now, I just can't seem to put my finger on the spot' he says.

'Maybe I can help' a sweet voice says and they turn around.

It's the tequila shot girl. She rests her skinny elbow on the counter and flips her hair to look at Phelan. Her sequined grey dress twinkles.

'Oh sure you can' Phelan gazes at her. 'One shot for the lady please' he tells the bartender.

'What about you?' She asks coyly.

'Well, I'm not in the mood to celebrate'

'Aww...someone broke your heart?' She pouts as she leans in closer.

'Not that it can't be fixed' he drawls smoothly.

The girl giggles. 

'Oh, I'm pretty good at such stuff. Sarah' She extends her hand.

'Phelan He bends. 'How lucky am I to meet you then?'

'You know' she picks up his glass. 'Bourbon pairs best with pecan pie and chocolate' she says in a husky voice.

'Oh, I know' Phelan bends even closer. 'But I would rather prefer y-'

'Phelan' the friend interrupts. 'There's your ex. OMG.....what's with her hairdo?' he asks in alarm.

This is said as they spot a tall girl with a pixie haircut and a skimpy black dress. Sarah bends to look at her too.

'She's horrible' Sarah decides loudly, fanning herself. 'You're better off without her'

'Bella Jones' Phelan drawls and signals the waiter to fill his glass. 'She dumped me for that shorty Indian kid on Peter Road' he says and bottoms up his glass.

'Easy man, don't pretend it's the first time, Casanova'

Phelan puts down his glass and looks at Sarah, who is busy downing another shot. He turns to his friend, scowling. 'What the hell is that supposed to mean?' he demands in a fierce whisper.

'Dude, you've broken up, like what, ten times? Natasha, Elena, Sara?' The friend challenges, counting his fingers.

'Elena was a deviation in high school. Nat was an addiction.' Phelan retorts. 'And, they were mutual breakups. She, on the other hand, just dumped me on my face'

'Well, I think she dated you so that she could get her horny girls gang and eat and drink for free at your Cafe' The friend feels.

It's true, Phelan has to admit. 'The pixie bitch'

'Well, seems more like a hot witch to me' the friend opinions.

'Screw you' Phelan says and he gazes. 'Who's that with her now?'

'Your hot ex's latest boyfriend's cousin' the friend says.

Phelan's gaze grows keen for some time at the girl with Bella. He seems to decide upon something as he abruptly gets up and straightens his honey-brown leather jacket.

'I'd love to spend some time with you, honey. But I got some job for this evening' he looks keenly at Sarah.

She nods reluctantly. 'Will we be meeting again?'

'Very soon' he kisses her hand. She giggles happily, flips her hair, and walks away.

'Is this the first time you've sent a girl away and chosen to spend the rest of the night alone?' The friend wants to know.

Phelan ignores him, and looks at the two women again. 'I've got some job'

With that, he gets up, and straightens his honey-brown leather jacket like a man with a purpose.

'What are you up to?' the friend hazards. 'It's risky, Phelan. They are Indians'

'They are just collateral damage'

************************************

Picture credit : Belly Full

Chocolate Pecan Pie.

Hey guys! Hoped you guys liked this chapter. And Phelan. Is he the hero?

Please do vote for this chapter if you liked it, It just takes a second and it matters a lot. Happy Reading!

Swipe up for the next chapter!

Do follow my Instagram account to watch the much loved reels of 'Love in Two Cities'. You can find the link in my Wattpad profile. Like, comment, and share :))))