6-Eclipse of the Night

Santana row street is bustling with activity on Sunday night. Hundreds of cafes and eateries open out into the sidewalks, with people thronging at the tables under the pergolas and trees, lit up with little decorative lights, and eating American, Mexican, Italian, and every other cuisine in the world. Signboards flash the names of the restaurants in glowing letters and the street is swarmed by locals and tourists.

The Rolls n' Cream Cafe and Restaurant is filled to its brim as Pooja and Dhruva enter in, swinging the clear glass door open.

The cafe is lit up with dim lights. The walls are of rubble stone and mocha brown wooden tables are placed throughout. There is a rich-looking bar counter at the far end of the restaurant. The song 'See you again' plays on the TV. Waiters with red bow-ties move around.

They spot Phelan and the others at the central table, waving at them.

Pooja tucks her dress consciously as she smiles at him.

'Hey! You look....amazing' he says as he gets up and pulls out a chair for her.

And she does. Because she's finally wearing her famous ocean blue maxi with the V- neck cut. Better late than never, she has decided.

Now, she hopes he doesn't realize that her cheeks have reddened, and quickly looks around to search for a change of topic. Also, Dhruva and Bella are kissing, and she has to avoid the sight of it.

'Oh, there's a Foosball table!' Pooja notices with delight. Jessica and she decide to play one game to walk toward it.

Everyone except Phelan sits down. He has his eyes at the foosball table area.

'So, yea guys, you can have a look at the menu, though you know it pretty well by n-' Phelan beings to say.

'Just why?' Henry looks at Dhruva. 'Is he still here?'

'Uh, no idea, man' Dhruva sitting back, tilting his head.

'Seriously, why are you still here?' Henry looks up at his brother smugly.

Bella shifts in her chair, looking irate.

'Thanks, guys' Phelan nods with good grace, and briskly walks away.

***

Pooja and Jessica are at the foosball table. Jessica almost scores a goal.

'Here' Phelan's warm hand wraps around Pooja's, which is holding the defense rod. she looks up at him. His face is just a few inches away from hers. She blushes and looks at the table again. Thank god it is dimly lit here. He can't see the colour of my face, she thinks.

The ball moves to the other side of the table court.

And then there's a goal by Pooja.

'Thanks' Pooja says. Phelan tilts his head, with the side smile.

God, can I ever get enough of that smile, she thinks helplessly, fidgeting with the rods. He looks so charismatic under these dim yellow lights.

'I'll be at the table guys' Jessica says and walks away.

'So, you own the Roles n' Cream chain of cafés and restaurants?' She asks him to distract herself.

'Yup. This is the first branch, and the largest. There's one in Santa Cruz, one in Oakland and we are almost confirmed of opening the fourth one in San Fransisco'

'That's great' she says dutifully, soaking in the look of his broad shoulders covered with his black jacket. 

'Hey, we need to play this thing with a bet' he says, walking to the opponent's side.