Chapter 1

🎲 PLAY SONG 🎲

Mars's POV

"Momma PLEASE! I don't get any of this shit!" I threw my pen on the table, being childish.

"Oh shut the hell up Marcellé! You know exactly what that says. Your smart ass got accepted into Seoul University! I'm so proud of you. You got 10 acceptance letters but I'm really happy about this one." Ma ran her hands through my hair calmly with the happiest expression.

She had me at the tender age of 17, almost 18. Hell I'm 17 now and couldn't see myself raising a child yet. Ma never let that stop her though, I mean look at me. I graduated high school with college credits so I'll be graduating with a B.S. by the time I'm 20. She taught me French since we are of creole decent but also Korean for whatever reason.

She's really been pushing for me to go to college there even though I have other options. I'm not sure why but she's sacrificed a lot for me so I wouldn't mind trying for her. She raised me alone after pops was murdered when I was only a couple months old. I know she's never had it easy so I want to help fix that.

As she was just staring at me with that same smile, there was banging at the front door.

Now people don't visit us like that and if they do, they know not to knock like the damn police. The more it happened, Ma's face grew serious. She gripped my face and held me close so I'd understand everything she would say.

(Breaux is pronounced like bro, it's French)

"Marcellé Kiana Breaux, I love you so much. Everything I do and have ever done is so that I'd be positive that you'd grow up into the most beautiful and intelligent woman I know you can be. We've been through so much together baby and I wouldn't change a damn thing you hear me. Your daddy would be so proud of you if he were here." She started to cry but kept smiling.

"Remember the emergency plan I told you about? You take that and you do exactly what's in that bag. I swear I never wanted this day to come and I know this won't be easy for you. I'm so sorry my Mars. Momma's so sorry for what you're about to go through. But know that I'm always with you and I'm never not supporting you." She wiped tears from my face that I didn't even realize were falling. She hugged me tightly and kissed my forehead, looking at me knowing she'd never see me again. The banging got louder and the door started to crack.

"Go baby, I'll end this right here, right now. These people will no longer be a threat to you and your bright future. I love you, and I'll never stop. Now go, quickly!"

I still didn't get who and why these people were here and how they were a threat to me but that doesn't matter. I've never questioned my mother on matters of safety. She always told me, 'When the time comes, it'll all be explained. By then everything will finally be over'. I ran and hugged her for the last time and ran upstairs to the attic like she always told me to do.

I peeled the gun from under the old desk up there and took the safety off, crouching down on the area of the floor that doesn't creak. Waiting.

There was yelling but not for long, after a round of shots it was total silence. I didn't hear a car pull off or anyone running so I assumed they had been shot by my mom.

I waited the 15 minutes like she said, knowing if I didn't see her by then, she was dead. When the time on my phone flashed 5:04 pm, I cried silently for a moment.

I'm completely alone in this world.

I went downstairs and saw 4 men dead, gunshots straight to the head. Strangely that made me laugh, the woman is a good fucking shot. Always has been.

I looked over to the couch and there she was with her arms around her gushing stomach, blood pouring out as she breathed shallowly.

I walked over and ran my fingers through her hair like she always does to me, making her smile for me one last time. She died looking me straight in my eyes with a smile on her face. Happy that her daughter was alive.

Following her instructions to a T, I packed my clothes and anything else that was important, totaling me off to 4 suitcases. I read the main note that said any other school is no longer a option and to go to Seoul immediately after this. In the big duffel bag she left me a whole life. There's a small loft apartment in Seoul next to the university, fully paid off and set up for me to live in. There's money in cash as well as a couple debit and credit cards that have never been used. All in my name. She worked so hard and probably saved what dad left behind just so I wouldn't need to work when she died.

Knowing that she knows me, I'll only use this for mandatory things until I can get a job and make my own money. These funds were strictly for a savings because I had a feeling it was WAY too much.

The bag had all of our family pictures, her old diary, and one she wrote in through the entirety of my life so far. She wrote me letters to read on every birthday up until age 34. I guess she stopped there because that was when her life ended. It's like she knew exactly when her time would come.

After all of my things were properly packed, I grabbed some of Momma's things to take with me. Some shoes and clothes to help me feel closer to her, and face it the woman had style. And I didn't forget all of her jewelry. Most of it consists of family heirlooms that we all pass on to our children, and the rest was from my pops to her. I'll treasure them always.

As I did all of that I had to call the police. When they got there they assessed the scene and had me do a statement and all right there at the house. They thought I'd have to go into the system but since I was basically a college student they let it go.

During the clean up and searching, I booked a flight that would board within two hours time. The only seat available was first class and i didn't want it. However, I wasn't about to let Ma haunt me because I didn't listen to her. Using one of the cards I paid for the expensive trip easily............We've NEVER spent that much money at one time! EVER!! But honestly I don't need to know where these funds came from.

I asked a officer if they'd be willing to bring me to the airport. I showed them the letter from Ma and their hearts grew soft. Luckily all the letter said was if anything happened to her to go to Seoul and attend school. They had no reason to suspect anything.

A couple of officers dropped me off which I really wasn't expecting because they honestly don't do shit for the community. Turns out one of the men knew both of my parents and said they were always nice to him since he was younger. He was the reason I was able to leave so smoothly. They carried my bags to get checked in for me and made sure I was safe before taking their leave.

I boarded the plane for the 15 hour and 44 minute flight. I didn't eat much but I made myself have dinner as I slept the whole way.

Once I landed I tipped an employee to help me out to my taxi with all my bags. The driver was pleased with my Korean and happy that I could actually communicate with him.

He dropped me off at my new address and wheeled my bags to the front door for me. I had the keys in hand from the duffle bag and got me and my things inside. It was decorated nicely. Not too much and not too little, just right. I started the shower after going days without proper maintenance of myself and relaxed into the warm water.

And in that shower, I cried my soul out for the first and last time.