Chapter 2

🎲 PLAY SONG 🎲

Mars's POV

3 Years Later

"Hey Mars! When you cash out that table, you have another in the private sector that requested you. They'll be your last one of the day so you can take a breather." My manager Han gave me an encouraging smile from across the kitchen.

Currently I work at The Soup Garden close to my loft and I've been here since about three months after moving here. I just turned 20 and I'm in my last couple of weeks at my university. Since we're mainly online for our last year, it's been easier for me to work. That and I always complete the school work on the syllabus when we first get it. Leaves me more time to do things I like, work, and just study for the finals.

Today we've been super busy and just like most of the time, I always have people request that I serve them. I hated it at first. Felt like they thought I was some fucking freak show but that wasn't it.

Well not all of it.

Aside from the fact that they don't see many people that look like me and fluently speak their language, my hair, overall looks, and service is what got me these requests.

Han said every other server either moved a little slower or didn't smile much, you know, do their job. When I got here, regardless of the looks I received, I did my job efficiently. I get tables in and out with a smile and go about my day. I mean we work for tips so that's how I make my money.

The fact that my hair changes all of the time seemed to intrigue them too. I have 3b/c hair so its naturally curly. Sometimes I wear it out with just some moisturizer and oils, other times I may do a messy bun or ponytail. I sometimes do box braids and they always find those interesting. A few times I've done a blow out and flat iron.... The looks they gave me were like I performed a magic trick.

Can't really blame them though, black people literally do magic when it comes to our hair. Thank goodness Momma taught me all my cosmetic needs growing up. She wanted to be a all around cosmetologist so I was like her one and only student.

Right now my hair is in faux locs. I plan on taking them out in about a week or so though. I think they're my good luck charm today or something because I've already made over $600 in tips. I've only been here 4 hours.

As I return to my old table I see the busser has already cleared it of everything and left the receipt for me.

Another $150 tip. And I'm also the only bartender so I don't tip out, meaning I keep all of my funds.

It's a good fucking day!

I type it into the system and head to my private sector table. I pull back the curtain and start my greeting as I close it.

"Hello! Welcome to The Soup Garden! My name is Mars and- Boy it's you! Why you ain't stop me from doing that greeting before I turned around?"

"Aww don't be like that Marce (pronounced like Marci) ! Maybe I wanted to hear it because you don't treat me like I'm a real customer anymore." He fake pouted.

"Whatever Tae. The least you could do is introduce me to the person who probably thinks I'm highly unprofessional now."

I couldn't help but laugh a little. Taehyung came here once when I first started and we just hit it off. I wore our usual uniform, a white button down and black jeans but I prefer skinny jeans for comfort so that's what I wear. Oh and can't forget the black apron. My shoes though, the ugly non slip restaurant shoes, made him laugh before anything. After we talked shit about my shoes some more, we had a pretty decent conversation. We became good friends and he's been coming to see me ever since.