Chapter 11

Namjoon's POV

"There's nothing more attractive in the life we live, than a woman who picks up on things before you do and can protect you even from yourself sometimes. Your mother is a big reason I'm still here after all Joon."

I spare Mars another glance, not wanting to linger due to the meeting. She looks around the table, gives the boys a smile, reassurance of sorts, and her eyes finally flit to me. Her smile turns even warmer if that's possible, and she winks my way before switching her expression to stoic. Aiming it at the possible enemy. Lifting her glass to her lips, her gaze does not falter.

Could she feel my gratitude? My admiration even, at what she'd just done?

I can be unemotional sometimes, as unintentional as it is, but that is not me in my entirety. A good deed done always deserves appreciation.

She moved with such grace while holding two deadly weapons at people who assumed her a novice with a pretty face. The most dangerous threat in this room as far as they are concerned to be quite honest.

I clear my throat in authority before speaking again.

"As per Princess's warning, you may want to decide now if you plan to save your man, Li. What's your answer?" I lift a brow in his direction.

Li trembles slightly. Concern for his men and himself etched onto his aging features. He looks to them and back to me to nod his head in agreement.

"Words," Jin states firmly, a sinister scowl thrown toward the treacherous men.

"Y- yes Don. We shall agree to your terms of business a-"

"Wouldn't that mean you have no business? If you can't deal in the southern region what do you plan to do? You have to be out of your mind if you assume you'll be leaving here without a blood oath, without omertà." I spew.

"What are your terms, sir?" Li asks hesitantly. Hackled by my possible response, and the likely death of his man.

"Monitor the docks. You'd be on guard duty for transport. Of course, you would be watched like prey, you have no merit here. That, or return home. You choose."

After a few beats of silence, the two almost mute men of Li's exchange looks before searching for the nearly closed eyes of the one that was shot by Mars.

"It's obvious. They're going home. I can see it, smell it even. The fear of the unknown coming from each of them in waves. They weren't expecting this type of business. Sign your name, spill your blood, and run home to the safety of your streets. It's your best bet loves." Mars taunts with a chuckle. She speaks smoothly as if this is a discussion about sports. No slouching in posture, nor a crack in her voice. She'd observed them well. The decision is a given, but they must be trying to hold onto some shred of dignity that doesn't exist.

One of my guards swiftly lays a set of papers in front of me, standard contracts for the code. Li and his men stand and assist the one who is losing blood. Starting with the leader, then Zen, the bleeding man, and the remaining two last. The contacts are official. Oaths have been recited and signed in blood.

"Lastly, you mention Princess here to no one. Nothing of what you've seen her do, her appearance, not a damn thing! Understood?"