Heartbroken

My eyes fluttered open and I gingerly placed a hand to my pounding head. The gentle dip and sway meant that I was on a ship, which one? I didn't know.

My searching eyes came to rest on a figure that was sitting in a chair, gazing off into space.

"Jack," I rasped, struggling to sit up.

He jumped up and was at my side in an instant. "Take it easy love," His brown eyes searched my (e/c) ones with worry.

"What-"

He placed a finger on my lips, silencing me. "I'd rather not talk about that right now." He avoided my eyes and dropped his hand.

"How long have I been out?"

"About three days." His answer was short and clipped, the warmness from his voice gone.

"What happened?"

Jack stayed silent, his chest moving up and down uneasily.

"Jack?" I gently grasped his chin, and physically turned his face towards me, taken aback by the shattered look in his eyes.

"You don't wanna know." His voice suddenly sharp, and his eyes shone with anger, regret, sadness, and worry.

"Jack," I murmured. "tell me... please."

"You really want to know?" He asked, rising from the chair and pacing the room. "I killed Nick."

I stared at him, trying to piece it all together. "Wha-Why?"

"He tried to hurt you so I just attacked and didn't think of how I could talk him out of it..."

"Jack, you did what you had to do." I was touched by his protectiveness over me.

I got out of he bed and walked over to him, wrapped my arms around his torso, and leaned my head against his shoulder. He rested his chin on top of my head and hugged my lower back.

"I'm sorry, Jack."

"You couldn't have done anything, love."

I sighed. "Where are we going now?" I mumbled into his chest.

"I don't know," He pulled back and walked to the door. "get some sleep."

I nodded as he stepped outside and closed the door.

Nick is dead.

I played the words over and over again in my head, but it still seemed unreal.

I shielded my face from the unwelcome rays of sunlight that filtered through the window at the top of the room.

I groaned and tried to bury my face deeper into the pillow, but it chuckled, causing me to pull back.

I had been laying with my head on Jack's chest, his arms around my waist, and his chin resting on top of my hair.

"Wha-what are you doing here?" I asked, raising both eyebrows.

"You don't remember last night?" Jack asked, tilting his head slightly.

"...No."

"You were having a nightmare and started screaming, so I came in here and laid down with you to calm you down. Guess I fell asleep."

I let out a breath and laid back down, with my head on his chest, right over his heart. "I do remember a dream... but I don't remember screaming."

He draped an arm lazily over me. "Aye, you were out cold."

"Oh."

"I gotta get up soon." He sighed, tightening an arm around me.

"Nooooo." I moaned, burying my face into his chest.