Chapter 3: Familiar Foe

/3/
Familiar Foe

---

LIKE EVERY first few months of the academic year, the halls of Castillo High were abuzz with robust enthusiasm

It was only the second week since classes resumed, at mataas pa rin ang energy ng mga estudyante; lalo na't kakagaling lang ng mga ito sa dalawang buwan na bakasyon. Students would meet up by the corridors and grounds, catching up with each other and gossiping about the latest news.

Apart from this though, the festivity in the academe this Tuesday morning was brought by the loud cheers and chants from the political parties in the campus. It was after all, campaign season once again — a crucial time that would cement how the rest of the year would turn out.

Dahil sa kaingayan ay napairap ang dalagang Lobris pagkababa nito mula sa girls' dormitory kasama ang dalawang kaibigan na mukhang inaantok pa.

"You'd think I'd have enough of political campaigns back at home," she told Sera and Queenie who let out a mix of a laugh and a yawn at her grouchiness, the three of them maneuvering their way across the sea of people who were watching the running candidates sing their jingles.

Hindi na ito bago kay Ann, lalo na't naka-ilang dalo na rin siya sa mga political campaigns ng kaniyang ama na si Senator Alejandro Maurice Lobris.

"Parang napaaga yata ang campaign this year? O sadyang excited lang ang mga tao?" Sera remarked as they walked towards the senior high building, passing by one party whose campaign manager was yelling their platforms through a large megaphone, trying to grab the attention of the students passing by the pathway.

"Beats me," Queenie shrugged before pushing her eyeglasses up the nose of her bridge

"Beats me," Queenie shrugged before pushing her eyeglasses up the nose of her bridge. "Honestly, wag na silang mangarap na matatalo pa nila 'yung party ni Enzo. For sure siya rin naman mananalo ulit." 

Speaking of the devil, agad na bumungad sa kanila ang napakalaking "Vote for Liberal party!" banner sa loob ng lobby na kasalukuyang nilalagay ng deputy president at ng kanilang dating kaklase sa 10-Fortitude na si Yenna Alonzo — the tallest girl in their batch.