[14] Turn of the Wheel

Time stood still in the Red City. Night reigned eternal, temperature and air controlled by some unknown mechanism ticking away in Chervnik's heart. Valeri felt the change between night and day but lost sense of the precise hour with startling swiftness.

The humans who had taken refuge in Chervnik's halls were in far worse a state. Ira reported high rates of insomnia after her visit to the human encampment within the city. The human population numbered over a hundred, and varied in origin. All reported fleeing supernatural neighbors who had inexplicably grown hostile after decades of peaceful cohabitation. Most were still struggling to accept the fact that such creatures existed at all. Few dared venture outside of their quarters, and all avoided the non-human residents of Chervnik as one would the plague.

"How did they even learn of Chervnik, less alone find the city?" Valeri asked once Ira recounted what she had learned during her short visit. His presence had not been welcomed, given the skittishness of the humans she was to interview.

"Lord Fane invited them," Ira said simply.

Valeri raised a brow. "Surprisingly gracious of him."

"Orlova presented the matter as a lord upholding his duty to those he governs," Ira responded, tone wry.

Valeri snorted. Lord Fane was less likely to pay attention to happenings in the Dvor than Valeri himself. He very much doubted the man interested in the welfare of the common folk. Then again, Valeri's insight into Fane came from distant memories and intelligence brought by Gabriel Todd – a dubious source of information at the best of times.

"Did you find anything of interest?" Ira asked.

They had split their efforts in investigating Chervnik. Ira took on the human settlement, partially because of her experience in dealing with frightened civilians but more so because she could still pass for human. Valeri, on the other hand, headed for Chervnik's bowels and lurked in places where those responsible for the city's upkeep might frequent.

"Chervnik is managed by humans," Valeri said.

Ira did not often show her surprise. Valeri was secretly delighted to elicit a wide-eyed look from the woman, however briefly.

"There are three men in total," Valeri continued. "Lord Fane makes the fourth, and he taught them all they know. They are men of talent and seem well-suited for the work."

"How do they find Lord Fane?" Ira asked.

"They respect him, despite not seeing more than the man's shadow since their training. Once they realized he and I were kin, of sorts, they spoke readily," Valeri said. His expression gained a hint of annoyance as he added, "I would have learned more, but Alexandra found me before I could press further."

"Her Spark is rather useful in herding guests around," Ira commented.

Valeri's mind caught onto the unfamiliar word, curiosity piqued, "You mentioned this before. What does a Spark entail, precisely?"

They were in their shared quarters. It was the safest place to speak privately, although Valeri did not disregard the possibility that they were being monitored in some fashion. Ira offered to teach him the hand signals used by soldiers as short-hand during missions. Valeri was not too fond of the idea, but he did begrudgingly take up the lessons. The ability to speak silently was too valuable to disregard. They were currently communicating in a mixture of spoken and shaped speech.

"Sparks are humans born with supernatural abilities," Ira signed, mouthing the words as she did for Valeri's sake. "The reasons behind it are not well understood. It is common belief that Sparks have supernatural ancestry. Most manifest in their early teens, and are recruited into the Amith Capil shortly thereafter by law."

"What reason can there be for such a decree?" Valeri asked. The thought of sending children to be shaped by the Queen's Army sat badly with him, whatever the justification.

"They did," Alexandra confirmed.

"And?" Valeri bid.

"My Sire offered a better price."

Ira's jaw tightened visibly. Valeri was not aware what expression currently sat on his face, but it had Alexandra laughing in dark glee.

"He attempted to turn you," Ira said after a pause. Alexandra's laughter had only just died, leaving a somber echo in Valeri's ears.

"Mm. I died, or I assume I did. Death was... strange." Alexandra shivered.

"In what way?" Valeri asked. His own passing had been painless, almost sweet. He did not recall the time spent in death's embrace.

"A voice kept shouting at me to wake up," Alexandra said.

"Your sire?" Valeri wondered.

Alexandra shook her head. "Certainly not. The voice was in me – but that is not important. The part that matters is that I woke up again, perfectly human. My sire was intrigued by the irregularity; as I understand, his previous 'children' were less fortunate. Of course, I was still a failure for remaining mortal. He entrusted my care to Lord Fane while he went to consult with someone about my condition. I was aware of the change in my ability by then, but did not dare breathe a word about it until news of my sire's death reached Chervnik."

"How did he die?" Valeri asked.

"At the blade of a Hunter," Alexandra said. "That is all Fane would share, no matter how I ask. The old fool thinks me sentimental over my sire's death. Pah! But come, let us speak of more pertinent matters. Or are you going through all this trouble just to reminiscence over cherished childhood memories?"

Ira cast Valeri a look. Valeri was somewhat amused to find he understood its meaning; Alexandra's story was far from simple, and her detachment over it all was clearly feigned. Nonetheless, she was correct – they did have more pressing business, and very little time left before they were to depart Chervnik's halls.

"The refugees," Valeri began.

"You are starting at the end," Alexandra interrupted. "Those people are but means to an end. You cannot possibly believe Fane cares for their survival? Or for anyone else's, for that matter."

"He appeared eager to lend us a helping hand," Ira noted.

"Out of guilt, and for the sake of your parentage," Alexandra said, waving the words away. "He would not lift a finger for the sake of a human. The bastard barely speaks a word to my mortal shell."

"That is not the general consensus," Ira said. The humans Fane sheltered were not mistreated. None spoke ill of the man, no matter how great their fear of the supernatural.

"Minds can be shaped. A little kindness sweetens a lot of grief," Alexandra said.

Ira quirked a brow. "I have heard the opposite said:

"A spoonful of crap fouls a cask of honey."

Alexandra let out a bark of laughter, truly amused this time. She jumped off the desk and, to Valeri's utter bewilderment, made her way to the door.

"Lord Fane expects your company tonight, for a farewell dinner. I will come collect you when it is time," the woman said.

"You gave us hardly any answers!" Valeri exclaimed.

"Perhaps you should learn to listen better," Alexandra called back. She waved before closing the door, the sound of her humming some nonsensical melody soon fading down the hall.

Valeri turned to Ira. "Did we miss something?" he wondered.

Ira's eyes were distant. Her gaze sharpened as Valeri watched, expression turning somber.

"Perhaps we did. Or rather, we took no note of what was missing all along," she said, then bid, "Tell me again of the time you visited Chervnik in Iavor's company. Recount what you remember of the city, and its inhabitants."

Valeri did. As he spoke, an idea formed in his mind. He turned it over and over again, and asked once his account was through:

"Will we leave Chervnik tomorrow?"

Ira looked at him. She did not speak; her hands signed:

"I do not believe we will be offered a choice."