[28.2] Shards

Message Men were an oddity in the military order. Their core responsibility lay in relaying information between military and administrative offices, but the nature of the work differed greatly depending on the type of information involved. Low-ranking Message Men held fixed positions within districts and responded to mundane matters. Those of higher rank carried out more specialized assignments. Training varied accordingly, passed down from direct mentors rather than standardized instructors.

The Message Man who stood at attention before the Queen's Court was among the best talents in his generation. He had shed the mask that covered his face against in deference, revealing handsome features without a hint of an expression. He did not bow or lower his eyes in front of the gathered Lords. No Message Man would.

The man's name was Yonis. He spoke in a clear, powerful voice, bearing the increasing frequency of interruptions without betraying fluctuations in tone or mood.

"Sixteen soldiers," Lord Greoff whistled once the Message Man was through. He cocked his head, slanting a humorless smile toward a grim-faced Lady MacLean. "Have standards fallen so far?"

The Army was Sabina MacLean's territory, just as the administrative branches fell under Lord Greoff's purview.

Lady Kiku had built the Message Men system from the ground up. Naturally, it was now hers to oversee.

Lady MacLean did not respond to the petty provocation. "Beaufort must have received support from the Dvor," she said.

Lady Kiku agreed. Sixteen soldiers, eight among them Zero – this was not a small force. Valeri Beaufort would have no hope to hold his own against such an opponent.

"The Dvor is not involved," Yonis responded.

"Impossible," Lady MacLean said. Lord Greoff, too, looked skeptical.

"The Dvor's outposts and channels of communication are monitored closely. There is no movement on their side," Yonis replied.

This information was not new. The Dvor and the Queen's Court were uneasy allies, bound together by a tentative truce and a wavering desire to keep the carnage of the last war in the past. Each kept a close eye on the other to ensure that the peace treaty was abided properly. Small infringements were common, each side testing the other's strength in order to assuage their own. Neither truly believed that the peace would last. One mountain cannot contain two tigers, as the saying went.

Chervnik's fall marked the last major disruption by the Dvor. Lady Kiku found the silence of their old adversary increasingly concerning.

"Were all bodies retrieved?" Lord Barton asked.

'Your man is about to dig himself a grave,' a voice spoke in Lady Kiku's ear. She could not trace its origin.

Lady Kiku did not betray her surprise. She understood the meaning behind the words and did not hesitate to bid Yonis to respond obliquely, even as she pulled the full truth of the matter from the Message Man's mind.

"The clean-up team has not submitted an official report," Yonis replied, changing his answer mid-thought in accordance to Lady Kiku's wishes.

"This is a matter of utmost importance. You dare appear in front of the Court so poorly informed?" Lord Barton asked coldly.

"It is my negligence," Yonis agreed. He was sincere in his apology, offering no excuse or indeed any further words.

Lord Greoff snorted and waved the man away. Lady MacLean and Lord Barton voiced no objections or questions.

Yonis's attention was on Lady Kiku.

"You may go," Lady Kiku told him.

Remain in the Capital, she added in the man's mind.