[27.3] Seen

The Amith Capil did not lack discipline. The soldiers organized quickly under their Captain's orders, dividing into pairs and setting off onto their assigned task without a wasted moment.

"We can use a hand," Arya told Dimitri.

Dimitri shook his head. "I'll only slow you down."

Arya's eyes turned to Valeri, then Iavor. "As you wish," he said.

The man was last to depart. His partner kept a wary eye on everyone present, her hand on the hilt of her sword. She cast a disapproving look Dimitri's way before following her captain into the depths of the manor. The meaning behind the unreasonable offer was not difficult to perceive. Dimitri's choice to trust men soldiers considered monsters would naturally not be well-received.

"Who needs them?" Gabriel purred, relaxing his own vigilant state, "I will protect you."

Dimitri snorted. He pinched the fur at Gabriel's nape and tossed the befuddled demon to Iavor in his moment of inattention, movements quick and resolute. Gabriel sailed across the room with a yowl of betrayal.

Iavor reached out to catch him. He held the demon under the armpits, the rest of the cat dangling uncomfortably in the air. "Have you played enough?" the vampire asked.

Gabriel swatted at the man's hands, ears flat against his skull. Iavor set him down with a chuckle. The demon spun around and meowed piteously at his previous resting post.

"Iavor Beaufort?" Dimitri asked, feigning deafness.

Iavor inclined his head in acknowledgement. "Pleased to make your acquaintance."

"I'm not," the man replied.

Iavor's expression retained a tranquil smile. He was not a man easily goaded. Moreover, his attention was currently otherwise captured.

Iavor's eyes were not on Dimitri but on the man standing silently behind him.

Gabriel followed the vampire's gaze with some reluctance. He had taken note of Valeri's state upon their arrival and knew the man was as well as could be hoped, given his company. There was no signs of torture or missing limbs, at least.

The vacant look in Valeri's eyes was far more troubling.

Valeri took a step forward. There was a curious absence in his expression, every feature soft and open, as if the man was wading through a dream. Gabriel hurried to make way, not trusting Valeri to mind his feet as he staggered toward Iavor. He took the chance to sidle closer to Dimitri. The soldier glanced down at him with an unimpressed look, but did not chase him away. Gabriel promptly pressed against his calf and purred.

Valeri stopped his unsteady advance. He stood facing Iavor, so still he appeared nearly lifeless. When he reached out to place a hand over Iavor's chest, it was as if a statue had come to life, the motion sudden and graceless.

"I am here," Iavor said.

There was another moment of stillness. Then Valeri crumpled forward, into Iavor's arms. His shoulders shook but not a sound escaped him.

Dimitri made for the door. Gabriel wove between his ankles, almost making the man stumble.

"Damned– what are you doing?" Dimitri hissed, aiming a kick the demon's way.

Gabriel dodged the irate man with ease and continued playing at a particularly furry doorstop. "Where are you going?"

"None of your business," Dimitri snapped.

The words were intangible, shared between them two alone. Gabriel was thrilled, and not a little amused.

"Shy?" he cooed.