[25.2] A Loose Thread

The inner court was not accessible to most. Located at the very heart of the Capital, its honeycomb layout of fine rooms and elegant hallways was reserved for visiting dignitaries and rarely saw the presence of ordinary soldiers.

Ira Hale would wonder at the ironies of fate, had she the mind to think about such things. She examined the fine room that had been appointed to her as a potential battleground. The dainty teacup that sat on a low table in front of her was just the right size to jam into someone's eye.

The door opened. The Zero standing guard moved at last, bowing out of the room with no expression or a second look at its occupant.

Ira rose to her feet. She meant to offer a proper salute, but did not have the chance to do more than bow her head in greeting.

"Enough," Lady MacLean said.

The Lord took the remaining chair without further ceremony. Ira sat back down. Beneath the added frills, the room's configuration was simple: a table, two chairs. Its purpose was the same as that of the prison cells buried under their feet. Ira supposed that her assumed rank warranted some pretense toward civility.

"The Court agrees to your terms," Lady MacLean stated. "We will answer your questions, as long as they do not touch upon matters that would threaten Samodevia's security. In return, you will provide an account of your time in Chervnik signed in blood."

Ira nodded in agreement. Her request was unorthodox and highly presumptuous, especially in light of her status as a traitor of unknown crimes. The fact that the Queen's Court accommodated her so readily promised nothing good to come.

Ira had expected far worse. The play at camaraderie was an unexpected boon already, however long it lasted.

"Would your lordship like to begin?" Ira asked.

Lady MacLean did not answer for some time. The woman's eyes were sharp and clear, her expression betraying nothing of her thoughts. She appeared far younger than she was, Ira realized. It was a startling observation, given that it had escaped Ira's notice until this very moment.

"What was your purpose in Elsendorf?" Lady MacLean spoke at last.

Ira answered readily. She detailed the case that had brought her team to the quiet village, and herself to Valeri Beaufort's door.

"Reports were submitted regularly," Ira noted. If this question was meant as a test, it wasted both of their time.

"The last report Fair submitted spoke of a dead girl, and a man who was relieved of his heart prematurely," Lady MacLean told her.

"The clean-up team did not provide an account?" Ira asked, surprised.

"The aftermath was handled by Zero," Lady MacLean said.

Ira was not familiar with Zero's code of action or standard procedures. As far as she understood, they had none. "Lady MacLean, please clarify. If there is no official report on record, how was the imprisonment of one of my men justified?"

"You dare ask?" Lady MacLean said.

"I do. Does your lordship dare answer?" Ira replied.

Lady MacLean looked at her, then huffed out a laugh. "A village was left gutted, Miss Hale. Civilians died, and the creatures responsible disappeared without a trace. Someone had to be held accountable."

"That someone should have been me," Ira said.

"You were not there," Lady MacLean reminded.

Ira held the woman's eyes with difficulty. This was a point of great shame, necessary as her decision to leave had been at the time. "The serpents bore the Queen's Mark," she said.