[25.3] Open Smiles, Hidden Knives

Lady Kiku never knew a silence so loud.

It was only the four of them. The Lords of the Court, closest allies, brothers and sisters by blood not shared, but taken in the heat of battle.

How terrible, to look into those familiar faces and see strangers gazing back.

"How did it happen?" Lord Barton asked at last.

The man looked at ease, but Lady Kiku knew better. Lord Barton's mind was turbulent and had been for many months. It was as if something was shifting in its depths, so far below the surface that its movements went unnoticed but for slight ripples of discontent. Lady Kiku wondered how long it had been since the man was truly at peace.

"I do not know," she said in response. "Miss Hale was perfectly docile until she was not. There was no warning whatsoever."

The Amith Capil trained its soldiers in all aspects of warfare. Shielding one's mind against a telepathic invasion was nonetheless not something easily done, especially against someone of Lady Kiku's caliber. The initial breach caused no alarm. Lady Kiku had Ira walk through her own memories, a quiet shadow at her side guiding her steps. She took care to soften the distress of reliving the past anew – less a kindness and more a necessity to keep Ira unaware of her presence.

Lady Kiku raised a hand to her bruised throat. It was warmth, not pain, that made Ira suspicious. Was there anything more miserable?

"You should not have attempted such a foul thing," Lady MacLean said.

Lady Kiku looked at the woman, startled. Lady MacLean's expression was severe. There was new unfriendliness in her eyes, a kind of distrust Lady Kiku had long feared from her companions.

Sparks did not enjoy the easy camaraderie of ordinary soldiers. They were too much like the supernatural creatures the Amith Capil hunted for a Numb's peace of mind. Those of talents similar to Lady Kiku's were targeted especially. It was not uncommon for a Spark to be alienated by their assigned team, resulting in higher casualties and a lot of bad blood.

Lady Kiku turned away from Lady MacLean, chest tight.

"Is torture more to your preference, then?" Lord Greoff drawled. "Or do you imagine Miss Hale will confess all, were we to ask nicely?"

"It is standard procedure with prisoners of her kind," Lord Barton added. Whether he meant Ira's claim to the Dvor's protection or her enhanced physique and high tolerance of pain was unclear.

Lady MacLean did not appear at all appeased. "She was cooperating. Do explain how you plan to force her into a confession now that she is on her guard, and bearing a grudge."

"We cannot produce Radev. Miss Hale's cooperation started and ended in whatever we could pry from her in that room," Lord Barton reminded.

Lady Kiku gathered herself. She raised her head, and did her best not to flinch when Lady MacLean's eyes turned back to her.

"There were some gains," she said.

Lord Barton raised his brows in interest. "Well, do not keep us in suspense, then!" Lord Greoff exclaimed.

"It is not new information, but rather a confirmation of Sabina's report on the situation at the borders," Lady Kiku said.

Lady MacLean's expression grew serious, focus shifting to the practical. "Explain," she bid.

Lady Kiku breathed easier. "Miss Hale traveled a great distance to reach the Capital. She observed a number of unnatural happenings during her journey, and was alarmed enough to keep these experiences foremost in her thoughts, despite her many other concerns."