Chapter 1

Writers pov
Derek and Meredith have been avoiding each other at work since the breakup. Meredith saw Derek waiting for the elevator and went to take the stairs when her mother found her.
" Meredith" said Ellis impatiently.
" yes mom" answered Meredith.
" I'm putting you on Shepherd's service because you two need to work things out" she said.
" mom, please don't you know I don't want to after what happened" complained Meredith.
" suck it up" Ellis said.
Meredith walked away irritated and went to the residents lounge to find Cristina.
" hey mer" Cristina said casually.
" my mother put on shepherds service" Meredith said very annoyed.
" uh oh " said Cristina. Their conversation was interrupted by somebody saying it was time for rounds. Meredith walked awkwardly over to Derek and said " im on your service today. "
" I can tell" answered Derek in a mcdreamy voice. After rounds Derek asked Meredith if she wanted to scrub in on a tumor resection and she answered yes happily, but she was worried about being in there with Derek.

A few hours later in the OR
writers pov

"Dr. Shepherd" a nurse called out " Chief grey is paging you"
" Dr. Grey will close " Derek ordered as he walked out of the OR. Oh great what could this be about Meredith thought.
" you paged " Derek said as he walked into her office.
" yes " she said, " Meredith has been acting a little strange. Did you notice anything? " she asked.
" yes, but I think she was just a little nervous about working together today. " he answered,
" oh and before I go if you really think something is wrong you should talk to Cristina. She knows Meredith better than anyone."
" thank you Dr. Shepherd" she said ask he was walking out. He went to find Meredith. He found her in the residents living talking to Cristina. After they were done Meredith got up and went home.
" Cristina have you noticed any behavioral changes with mer?" He asked.
" yes she seems a little down, like she might be depressed. It's very possible.. I mean Ellis can be pretty hard on her." She answered.
" thanks " he answered. Derek walked out and decided not to say anything until he was sure, so he put Meredith on his service again.

A Few Weeks Later
Writers pov

Derek approached Cristina.
" Cristina it has been a few weeks, Do you think she's depressed?" He asked.
" yes " she said " we need to make sure that she hasn't become suicidal "
" I'll search her bathroom for pills and knives or scalpels " Cristina said. Cristina snuck into Meredith's bathrooms later that night and found some pills and a scalpel. But she left them for now. Cristina told Derek what she found. Meredith seemed like she was getting worse and worse. Cristina and Derek decided it was time to tell Ellis.
" Chief Grey " they said in unison.
" yes " she answered.
" We think Meredith is depressed and potentially suicidal. " Cristina said in voice full of worry.
" She needs a pysch consult " Ellis said.
" no because she will get suspicious " Derek said, " we just need to keep and eye on her. " After a few days Ellis decided to go behind their backs and get Meredith a physch consult. Ellis took Meredith upstairs and told her she was going to see a patient who was in the physch ward for observation. When she went up she brought Meredith into an empty room with a doctor. Meredith said mom what is this. Ellis replied I think your depressed after that bad break up with Derek, even though you two have worked things out. Meredith stormed out of the room and ran down the stairs. She told Cristina to tell her mom she was going home. After Meredith left Cristina went closely behind her. As soon as Meredith got home she ran upstairs to her bathroom. Cristina had to trail pretty far back so Meredith didn't get any suspicions about her following her home. Cristina had a key so when she got there she snuck in. She crept upstairs to find the bathroom door locked and suddenly she remembered what she had found. She listened for movement and heard none. She picked the lock and found Meredith unconscious in a pool of her own blood with lacerations on her wrists and legs. Cristina went to grab her phone and realized she left in her car. She ran to find a phone and called 911.