Chapter 8

As they went deeper into the cave,they started to see broken bones and a few skeletons...it seems like they were getting closer to the dragons nest,Atem started to get worried as they got closer...Yugi looked around as he stayed close to Atem 'Seems like people have died in here...they either got eaten or they where trying to find a way out of this world' Yugi then said to himself in thought as he looked at the bones that both he and Atem passed and walked over...suddenly Yugi came to a stop and looked at the floor of the cave.."Yugi? What's wrong,why did you stop?" Atem asked as he turned to look at Yugi who only shook his head "I don't think we'll be getting out of here alive..." Atem tilted his head at Yugis words in question..
"What makes you say that?"
"I mean...look at all these bones..the people that came here..they didn't make it out alive and-"
"Yugi..we will make it,I promise"
"Yea but-" suddenly a loud roar was heard..Atem looked in the direction of the sound and got in front of Yugi "The dragons around...we best keep moving or we will get found" ..Yugi nodded and followed behind as Atem started moving forward again...
After a while of walking..they came across a sword that was stuck in a pile of hardened peebles..Atem looked the thing over before smiling "We might be able to use this if we have to face the dragon" he said as he went over to the sword,Yugi would only nod "Here...let me help you..maybe I can-" another roar sounded off,Atem shook his head and set the light source down,he would then grip the sword and pull at it....Yugi kept watch for the dragon,making sure that it wasn't even close to him or Atem...after a bit of pulling and wiggling the sword free,it finally gave and slipped free of its stoned prison...the blade of the sword was an odd black color while the handle was a dull gold color,it had a few gems stuck in it...Yugi would look back at Atem,not only to look the sword over himself but to give a thumbs up as if to congratulate on what Atem found...suddenly the dragon then appeared,it growled and suddenly charged at Yugi,Atem saw this and suddenly ran to push Yugi out of the way only to get pushed aside by the dragons tail,Yugi would then get pinned..Atem would just sit there and stare,his face showing clare shock and a silent panic...clear images of what had happened to his past partner was flashing before his eyes...tears suddenly came to his eyes as he got up and sung the sword at the dragon who would only roar at him,Yugi got up and looked at Atem...the dragon then opened its third mouth to let out some odd green energy..it took aim right at Yugi,only Atem stood in the way,his eyes dripping tears down his face..the dragon would then fire a green ball of energy at Atem,who would have taken the hit..however..strange black shadows started to appear around not only Atem but also around Yugi..they stopped the ball of energy and took aim at the dragon...Atem sighed a little as both he and Yugi looked the shadows over..the shadows would then attack the dragon with an odd looking ball of energy,it was enough to send the dragon running but not enough to kill it...once the dragon was gone,the shadows vanished and Atem fell to his knees,dropping the sword besides him..his face showing clear weakness,shock and terror...Yugi went over him and kneeled beside him,and wrapped his arms around him gently...
"It's ok,Atem...I'm right here..I told you that I won't leave you"
No response...
"That dragon did scare me...but I knew that you would save me"
Still no response...
"Atem...please talk to me..what's wrong?"
Still no response..it was clear that Atem was having an internal panic attack,he just sat there,a shocked look on his face as his tears didn't stop....clearly what had happened to him before with Heba had left him scarred mentally..Yugi just kept his arms around the young Pharaoh,not wanting to move until he had come back down to earth...
'I was....but he was almost....I don't want to lose him...not agian...I..I just want..him to stay with me forever...I just want...I want...-' Atem said to himself in thought as he tried to come back and regain his composure...
"What do you think that shadow stuff was?...it looked like dark magic to me" Yugi had suddenly said in trying to snap Atem out of his own mind..suddenly Atem had wrapped his arms around Yugi and held him close as if holding a beloved stuffed toy close to him...Yugi smiled at this,thinking that Atem was snapping out of it..however...
'He's mine...I won't let anyone or anything take him from me,nor will I let him get hurt..I will be his shield and his sword..even if it means my life is at risk' Atem said to himself in thought as he held Yugi close..."Atem...you ok?..you don't seem back to yourself yet.." Yugi then said in trying to get something out of Atem...a soft but shakie sigh came from Atem as he would finally speak up "I-...I'm fine Yugi...you don't have to worry about me anymore,I just...-"
"You just what?"
"I just...don't want anything to happen to you...that dragon almost took you from me"
"Yea..but you did save me so he didn't"
"He could have and if he did then-"
Yugi then pulled away and smiled sweetly at Atem "He didn't..and that's all that matters"...Atem nodded and returned the smile..once the sword was back in Atems hand,it started to glow...suddenly Atem had black,feathered wings on his back..the sword started to fade as the wings appeared...both Yugi and Atem where stunned to see this happen..the wings would suddenly disappear as if by a mear thought,Yugi tilted his head at this and thought a little before he suddenly spoke up "Fallen Angel.." ..Atem looked at him "What?" ...Yugi only smiled
"Fallen Angel..that's what black wings mean from where I'm from"
"Fallen..angel? What is that?"
"It means that you are either secretly a demon or some kind of guardian"
"I see..what would you do if I was one of them?"
"I wouldn't care...Atem,no matter what happens to you..I will be by your side"
"Yugi..." Atem smiled and nodded "Right...I should have known you'd say that,now then..that shadow stuff.."

After a while...they found the source of what had protected them...a black pendant sat there on a small table like pedestal..Atem went over and picked it up "This should have enough magic to free us...let's go" he said,causing Yugi to nod.

Once they got out of the cave,they started to head out of the forest...Yugi was thinking of what that pendant could do and if it will actually free them,Atem how ever was thinking on where those wings came from and why they appeared.

What will happen to them as they trek back through the forest? Will the pendant they found actually save them? And..what was up with the wings,could Atem be hiding something or could something be waiting for him? Stay tuned for the next chapter!