13 → "AWAKE"

13 "AWAKE"

(Minho).

MINHO had just packed his lunch and headed towards the Deadheads to find Newt, when he heard it; a bloodcurdling scream. The scream startled him, and he snapped his neck side to side to look for its source. He stopped in the middle of the Glade, when he saw a small figure, climbed halfway of one of the walls inside the Maze. He froze, squinting ahead. For a moment, he couldn't make out who it was. Then, he somehow noticed the tint of blonde hair and he dropped his backpack without a single care. He raced across the plains of the Glade, screaming out Alby's name. He was thankful he was Runner; he was awfully fast.

"Alby!" Minho bellowed. Alby turned on his heels, stopping at the door of the Homestead. His eyebrows knit together in confusion, staring at Minho like he was insane.

"What's wrong?" Alby questioned. Minho stopped, caught his breath, then pointed to the wall. Alby peered up, his eyes following the direction of Minho's finger. Alby realized immediately what was wrong.

The figure standing upon the Maze wall jumped.

"Shit!" Alby cursed, taking off into a run. Minho went to follow handing him a knife for defence just in case. Alby craned his neck back at him and screamed at him. "Get the Med-Jacks!"

Minho did as told, Alby racing towards the Maze Doors. He wasn't a Runner, but he did not care. Entering the Maze was foreign for Alby; because Alby had not entered that Maze before.

Sprinting down the corridors of the Maze, Alby followed the sound of pain filled moans. The first thing Alby saw was Newt; hanging from a vine. He dangled from side to side, obviously knocked out. There was a gash on the top of his head, bruises slowly forming on his bare arms. Alby aimed the knife at the vine that Newt's leg was caught in, sawing away at it until Newt's leg freed. Newt dropped limply to the ground. Alby slid the knife into his belt and placed his hands under Newt's armpits and started dragging him through the corridors. Alby grunted, Newt's limp body dragged across the dirty concrete floor. Minho and the Med-Jacks — Clint and Jeff — waited by the open Doors of the Maze, Minho racing over to Alby to help. The group hoisted the knocked out Glader onto the wooden board and carried him to the infirmary.

(Adeline)

Adeline woke up that day. She woke up three hours later, in the company of Gally. Gally hadn't asked to be there, but Alby had put him on duty to be by her bedside for that hour. Adeline's eyes focused on the ceiling, wandering around for a moment until she leaned forward. She jolted forward awfully fast, which caused a head rush from lying down for a week. Her joints were stiff, as if she had been dead for ten years. Everything came back in a rush, causing her to reach up to her throat. She ran her fingers across a healing cut on her throat, pressing down on it to see if it hurt. She winced when it did.