21 → "A DEAD GRIEVER"

21 "A DEAD GRIEVER"

ALBY pushed past her, peering into Ben's room. His eyes widened and he backed away from the door just like she had done. His eyes were filled with confusion and fear, considering the fact that Ben was not healed completely from the Changing. Alby turned on his heels and sprinted down the staircase of the Homestead and out the door, Adeline following suit.

"Go look for him!" Alby screamed at her. "I'll be right back."

Adeline nodded in agreement, slowing to a stop. She scanned the Glade before her, when she noticed a figure darting towards the Graveyard. In a split second she was sprinting, and had been joined beside Alby, who now had a bow and arrow, the arrow locked into place. Both ran through the foliage of trees, the path winding. Adeline tried to keep up with Alby but trailed behind a few steps, and the faster she ran, the more tired she grew and sore her feet became. After a moment or so, she came to a halt, nearly smacking into Alby as she did so. There, she found Ben standing before Thomas, a wild look in his eyes.

"Ben!" Alby screamed. Ben didn't answer Alby.

"Ben, listen to Alby." Adeline demanded. Ben still did not answer.

"Ben." Alby repeated. "Stop right now, or you ain't gonna see tomorrow."

Thomas looked from Alby and Adeline, then back at Ben, who stared viciously at Alby. Adeline didn't like the look in Ben's eyes; they were the same bloodshot eyes that Matt had greeted her with the morning of her attack, and she stepped back slowly and cautiously.

"If you kill me." Ben shrieked. "you'll get the wrong guy." He snapped his gaze back to Thomas. "He's the shank you wanna kill."

"Don't be stupid, Ben." Alby said, his voice calm as he aimed the arrow. "Thomas just got here — ain't nothing to worry about. You're still buggin' from the Changing. You should've never left your bed."

"He's not one of us!" Ben shouted. "I saw him — he's ... he's bad. We have to kill him! Let me gut him!" Thomas took a step backward, horror spread across his face.

What does he mean Thomas is bad? What did he see in the Changing that makes him believe so?

Alby hadn't moved his weapon at all, still aiming for Ben. "You leave that to me and the Keepers to figure out, shuck-face." His hands were steady as he held the bow, "Right now, back your scrawny butt down and get to the Homestead."

"He'll wanna take us home." Ben said. "He'll wanna get us out of the Maze. Better we all jumped off the Cliff! Better we tore each other's guts out!" Adeline's heart sank.