25 → "SOMETHING'S DIFFERENT 'BOUT YOU"

25 "SOMETHING'S DIFFERENT 'BOUT YOU"

ADELINE followed Newt and Thomas down the stairs and out of the Homestead. Nobody said a word for a while. Newt led them both out the front door of the Homestead, Adeline trailing behind Thomas, even Newt with his limp. The pain in her cheek had been a forgotten thought for a few moments after Alby's insane behaviour minutes before, but Adeline soon realised that the pain was still very much throbbing and reached up to caress her cheek.

I can't believe that Gally would do such a thing.

"Hungry, Tommy?" Newt asked, and Adeline snapped back from her thoughts to realise that they were already outside of the Homestead.

"Hungry?" Thomas' face scrunched up into a look of fights. "I feel like puking after what I just saw — no, I'm not hungry."

"Well, I am, ya shank." Newt grinned. "Let's go look for some leftovers from lunch. We need to talk."

"Somehow I knew you were going to say something like that." Thomas muttered. Newt seemed not to hear him, because he ignored Thomas and turned himself around to turn to Adeline.

"The lucky thing is there's also an ice pack in the fridge." Newt muttered, turning to Adeline. "The bruise on her cheek only seems to be getting worse."

"Blame Alby for the second slap to the same cheek." Adeline grumbled, reaching up to caress the bruise on her cheek; the throbbing had died down, but the bruise still gave off some pain. They made their way directly to the kitchen, where Frypan was lenient to allow Newt and Thomas to make themselves cheese sandwiches and raw vegetables. Adeline declined on food, settling down in a chair. Newt grabbed an ice - pack from the fridge, placing it gently to Adeline's cheek. Adeline took it from his hand, wincing slightly at the pain and the coldness of the ice pack brought to her bruising cheek.

"Ever seen that happen before?" Thomas asked after a minute or so. Adeline settled down in between them, icing her cheek. Newt looked at him.

"What Alby just did?" Newt shook his head. "No. Never. But then again, no one's ever tried to tell us what they remembered during the Changing. They always refuse. Alby tried to — must be why he went nuts for a while."

And the last two times someone has gone through a Changing, they've gone batshit insane and attacked people. Adeline thought bitterly.

"We have to find Gally." Newt said, changing the subject. "Bugger's gone off and hid somewhere. Soon as we're done eating, I need to find him and throw his butt in jail."