28 → "FEELINGS AND ENCOUNTERS"

28 "FEELINGS AND ENCOUNTERS"

THE journey back took longer than Adeline hoped. Adeline had to stop a few times to catch her breath and rest her sore muscles. Each time they stopped, Minho offered some of her water. Adeline took the offer the first time, but didn't want to drink up Minho's only supply of water. She didn't dare to take Thomas' offer, either. None of them really spoke much on their journey back to the Glade.

"You're a lucky shank ya know that." Minho said. "I don't know how you survived."

"Neither do I." Adeline shrugged. "I guess the only way I can justify how I somehow did, is to run when you see one of those hideous creatures."

Thomas rolled his eyes. "Anyone could survive a night in the maze if they were willing to survive."His words caused Adeline to stop in her tracks. Is this shank serious? "You survived out of luck."

"Really?" Adeline shrilled. "I don't think you understand, Thomas. I survived two full nights here with no knowledge of the way back to the Glade. I'm not a Runner; I've spent a year cooped up in the confined safety of the Glade. Also, you have to remember that you only survived a night out here yourself."

"Alright, Adeline —" Minho placed his hand on her shoulder but she shrugged it off.

"I didn't survive two nights in this hell hole to get told that surviving in the maze is easy from the Newbie who has just caused trouble since he arrived!" Adeline snapped. She turned to Thomas. "If you knew anything about what I've been through since I arrived here over a year ago, you'd shut your mouth now Newbie." Thomas looked taken back at her remark. Adeline turned back to Minho, indicating to keep going.

Thomas looked taken back at her remark. Adeline turned back to Minho, indicating to keep going. As they continued on, she heard Minho faintly lean into Thomas and utter; "She has a point, Greenie."

It was mid morning when they stepped through the West Door back into the Glade. The day in the Glade proceeded as usual. It didn't take long for some of the boys to notice them standing there; it didn't take long for the news that the Runners had also found their first girl Glader, too. Newt was notified and he came running. The first thing he noticed was Adeline standing there and pulled her into an embrace. Adeline returned it, much too exhausted to give a damn that Minho and Thomas had watched Newt do so.

"You're the first to come back." he said after he pulled back. "What happened?" Although he was checking the cut on Adeline's forehead, the question was directed at the two Runners. "Tell me you've got good news."