26 → "THE SKY, THE BOX, THE GIRL AND THE DOORS."

26 "THE SKY, THE BOX, THE GIRL AND THE DOORS."

ADELINE was seated beside Chuck during lunch the next day, when Matt's voice returned. It had been days since he'd talked to her, and after a while Adeline had actually started to believe he was dead. So, when his voice returned, she was shocked. As the voice came through Chuck's voice seemed to fade away into the background.

Adeline, I'm almost there. Was the first thing Matt had said to her in days. I'm almost back. You need to convince them to let me stay.

Adeline turned to Chuck, pretending that she was listening to him before she replied; What do you mean?

Look towards the West Door.

Adeline craned her neck to look towards the direction of the West Door, when she saw it. The skinny figure of Matt, collapsed on the ground. A gasp escaped from her mouth and she rose to her feet. Beside her, Chuck questioned what was wrong before she took off in a sprint towards the boy. Gladers had also noticed him too, racing in the same direction as Adeline. A crowd gathered around the collapsed boy, his clothes torn and tattered. Matt was covered in cuts and bruises, and he had lost a lot of weight since he had been Banished. He was skinnier than he had been, and looked half dead as he laid on his back, his chest rising and falling as if he had been running for days. His eyes were tightly closed shut, his breathing sharp and ragged. Adeline heard the two familiar voice of Newt as he pushed through the crowd, Newt kneeling down beside him. Adeline watched Newt as he watched Matt struggling for a breath. Newt's eyebrows scrunched together in confusion.

"He's alive." Newt said. Newt peered up at her. "Do you know anything about this?"

"I only saw him collapse on the ground." Adeline lies with a shake of her head. "I didn't even think he was alive."

"How he has bloody survived beats me." Newt stated. "But all I do know is that he is alive, and that's basically impossible. Throw him in the Slammer and allow for him to rest. Get him some food and water. I'll deal with this later."

A group of Gladers knelt down to pick him up, hoisting him up and leading him over to the Slammer. As he was hoisted up by the group of Gladers, Matt's head killed to the side and his eyes fixated on her. As they did, his voice returned; Convince them to let me stay. Adeline watched as Matt was thrown into the Slammer.

Why? Adeline couldn't help but question the boy. Why was she now talking to the boy as if nothing had ever happened those months ago? And why did he think that she wouldn't be hesitant to do as he asked? He should have been dead by now; how did the boy survive all those days out in that Maze with no food?