Deceiving Dragonfly in Reverse

Okay, on my old account I was beginning a story about a group of hybrid royals adopting a human.  But the original was a family of humans adopting hybrids (because of unfair treatment) and helping them start lives.  Both are DNB (Dreamnoblade) and both have themes of loss and enslavement.  This is another long one.

//

The man was tapping his finger against the top of his other hand, glaring impatiently at the clock. That boy was supposed to be here five minutes ago, what was taking so long? He checked his wristwatch, but it read the exact same time as his clock. He sat back in his chair and looked up at the ceiling, annoyed. He was a businessman, he had no time for the antics of a spoiled teenage boy.

He was about to call his receptionist when there was a faint knock on his dark wooden door. He straightened up, adjusted his tie, and said, "come in."

A boy in a forest green suit waltzed in with the grace of a cat. Under the jacket was a simple white collared shirt with a beautiful golden brooch. It was three slim chains attached to a golden saber. The boy had nice leather shoes that had no right to exist.

The most noticeable feature was his mask. Every person who came into his office wore some form of mask, as no one wanted to be revealed. Only the rich and the shady came here, and neither wanted to serve jail time. Most wore a mask that covered their upper face, leaving their words to be clear and concise. The boy, however, wore a gleaming white mask that covered his entire face. On it were two dots and a curved line, forming a smile.

"Hello Mr. Schlatt, I would like to apologize for my lateness, I was held up by your admirable security."

"Cut the flattery boy, just follow me," Schlatt snapped. He had no time for this, he was due at a ring in an hour. He stood and pulled a door open. The boy simply walked across the room and followed him. That damn mask didn't show a single thing, it was rather clever. For all Schlatt knew it was a girl underneath there, which would be most improper.

"As you already know, I own some of the most prestiged hybrids in the city. Possibly in the country," Schlatt said, making his way down the glossy wooden stairs. Honestly, this was the best office he could have rented, it felt much more formal and impressive than his previous one. "They are for rent or for sale, depending on what you can afford."

He made it to the bottom of the stairs and flicked on a light. The harsh lighting revealed rows of cages, each housing a hybrid. Schlatt's heart swelled with pride at the gasp the boy gave. It was a rather impressive collection if he did say so himself, even if it did sometimes attract the wrong attention.

"Some are more so for household work," Schlatt said, keeping his voice cool and unbothered. He gestured towards the larger cages. These held about two to three hybrids. "They're much more peaceful and are less likely to try and murder you."

The boy examined the cages, not saying anything. The smile on his mask was the only indication of his mood, but it wasn't saying much.

"How much for that one," he asked quietly, gesturing towards one of the hybrids. It was a cat-man of sorts, with a brown to white tail and ears. The hybrid looked up meekly, its eyes a shocking purple.

"About ten thousand, give or take. Antfrost is one of my finer specimens."

"I'll think about it,"the boy said, but the interest in his voice remained. The hybrid flicked its tail, looking concerned. Schlatt nodded, concealing his glee. He gestured for the boy to follow him again, leading him deeper into the storeroom. The scent of unwashed bodies and waste was becoming more potent back here.

"These would be your fighters," Schlatt said pridefully. These hybrids were either very active or looked to be dead. Some paced their cages, glaring at the two and snarling. Others lay on their sides, eyes closed. Schlatt made his way through, banging on the bars to wake up the sleepers. Soon he reached the furthest cage. Lying there was an odd sight. The hybrid was part hoglin, with tusks, pig ears, and a proficiency with crossbows. Its hair was long, pink, and very disgusting. However, the hybrid itself was much cleaner than most of the others due to a celebratory bath it had received yesterday for winning. Again.