Chapter 5

Hi Guys, Thank you to all those who voted and commented on my last chapter. It really means a lot to me! :)
..................................................................................................................................

Jeanne walked into hers and Paul's office, looking around to find he was gone. A sad smile played upon her full pink lips, memories bringing up a painful past which was hard to forget no matter how hard she tried. A sudden noise from outside caused her to jump, proceeding to inwardly scold herself for letting her mind wander once again.

Paul had left the station half an hour later after Jeanne did. He gathered his required tools and equipment and left in the second police car, driving in the same direction as Jeanne , but the house was further away and on a different road.

He was stood outside Emily's recently newly made house, looking at the freshly painted brown door where the number 96 was branded in glittering gold. The garden was all tiled up with neutral colours and no green plants, wired mesh running around the metal fences and black gate.

Finding the white polished door bell, he pressed it and could hear the irritating buzzing from outside. A male gruff voice could be heard shouting followed by something unintelligible.

A few moments later the door opened to reveal the wife who was wearing an apron covered in flour, apparently not very happy being disturbed in whatever work she was engrossed in. For someone whose child was missing, this wasn't exactly the picture he imagined.

"Yes Officer, how can I help?" she said while eyeing him up disapprovingly.

"I need to conduct some investigations about your child, so it is necessary I come inside." His tone held no room for argument, eyes piercing into the mother's large green eyes.

Her demeanour changed drastically once realizing who he was, her voice changing to a pitch higher than what it was, "Of course, please come inside, I really hope its good news," Paul did not reply as he had no answer right now, but raised his eyebrow at her change in attitude.

She opened the door fully to let him in and walked into the modern living room to see the husband sitting lazily on the sofa watching news. She turned to face him and smiled pleasantly, failing to make Paul less uncomfortable, "Please excuse me for a few minutes to clean myself up."

"Take your time." She left the room and Paul sat down on the sofa exhaling. The husband who was named Peter switched off the flat screen T.V and sat up straighter, fully intending to have a chat with the officer.

Peter worked in a bank in the town and today was probably his day off, the officer guessed as there was a large groove in the sofa from what Paul could see. Peter was the average dad with a polo shirt and faded blue jeans. He bore thick rimmed glasses, hiding most of the dotted freckles on top of his cheeks. He had dark brown hair with a few greys showing from his new haircut.

His voice was not overly deep, but somewhere in the middle, "So how's the investigation coming along?"

Paul wanted to discuss the case with both parents present, not wanting to go over the details twice, "I think it should be discussed with your wife as well, as I need both present for what I want to say."

Peter nodded and slouched slightly, "You know officer, Emily was my favourite child and I will terribly miss her, she was a good kid," his voice was turning croaky and wavering as he spoke. From what he could tell, Peter was going to cry. Paul wanted to point out that Emily was their only child and she was still being found.

At that moment in time his wife had walked in Amelia, being cleaned of all the dirt Paul had seen her with. Emily looked just like her mother, blond hair, green eyes and the high facial structure. The only thing she didn't inherit was her lips, which she got from her father. She had forgone the apron, which underneath was a floral cotton shirt and white ankle cut trousers. Her long hair was put up into a ponytail, the bangs swept to one side.