Chapter 13

Paul had finally finished the dreaded meeting after three full hours of constant blaming and accusations. The onset of a headache could be felt coming which was the last thing he needed right now.

He made himself a strong coffee and headed to his peaceful room where he could not be disturbed for the time being. His partner was currently sat at her own desk looking through her files fully engrossed.

The first thing he noticed was a glimpse of white bandages on her left arm, which she was having trouble with.

"Hey Jeanne, what happened to your arm?" He asked concerned.

Jeanne looked up from the pile of work, giving him a tired smile, "Nothing really."

Paul obviously didn't believe her, but left as he figured it wasn't the right time.

"You look tired," he commented seeing her appearance.

She laughed a little, "Yeah, had trouble sleeping, but I'm fine."

He took a seat opposite her, "Something kept you up?"

You have no idea.

"...Kind of...But there's something I have to tell which is important."

Paul lifted a hand for her to continue. "Please tell."

Jeanne hesitated, not knowing how to make it sound less crazy then her mind made it out to be. "...This is going to sound crazy, but I've thought a lot about this before I could tell you."

Paul smiled sympathetically at her which didn't go unnoticed.

"Paul...don't look at me like that, I haven't gone mad."

"I didn't say you did."

Jeanne deadpanned, "I know you very well, but anyways it's about Emily."

Seriousness overtook both as she spoke first, "Emily's disappearance isn't a simple child abduction case, there's obviously more to it than meets the eye."

Paul agreed while rubbing his stubbly chin, "That's something I can agree on. It seems we're going around in circles and Maria is dead set on keeping her mouth closed."

"I know. What do you think happened?"

Paul thought while trying to fit together as much pieces as he could, "I don't have an exact answer, but I know there is a group behind this with very strange beliefs. If we can get more information on the group, maybe we can move forward. Stan is still in hospital, so that means waiting. I've sent a team to search Maria's house and Matt's gone back up to the school. Hopefully something will turn up in a day."

"Good to hear."

"So what did you want to say?"

"Yes...well last night something happened. I was attacked in my own home."

"What! But how and who did it?" He asked without delay, stunned by what his partner revealed.

Jeanne sighed heavily, "I don't know, I never got to see his face."

She nervously made eye contact with Paul who looked dumbfounded.

"Was his face covered?"

"No. The thing is that it wasn't someone, but something."

Paul laughed, "Jeanne, we both know ghosts don't exist, it's all in our heads."

"I know Paul, but I know whatever happened last night was strange and outright creepy, and I found this in the morning."