Chapter Twenty Three

Mia was walking in the garden with her headphones humming at its loudest. He watched, as she made her way across the fountain, almost stumbling and falling face first in it. She looked happy today, happier than usual. There was a bounce in her steps, which was probably the reason behind her stumbling one more time but she didn't seem to mind as she aimlessly started walking yet again.

"She's fascinating isn't she?" Xander's spoke first, knowing that Mia was not the only person who was being watched now. Johnathan walked up beside Xander to the window and saw Mia sit down on a bench where she dropped her headphones and settled with a book. "So pristine even when everything around her is this tainted" Xander added.

"I still hope for the day when you will drop this thought about us Xander" Jonathan said with a sigh.

Xander reluctantly turned to his father. "I still am thankful for what you did. Don't get me otherwise" He clarified.

"That Catherine girl you're spending so much time with, is she-"

"No" Xander replied in a rush.

Johnathan scrunched his eyebrows and stared at Xander, utterly confused. "When did you start with short term relationships?"

"I don't discuss all of my personal life with you father" Xander spoke, not wanting the discussion to roll further.

"Yes absolutely" Johnathan muttered, nodding his head even though he was still unsure about Xander's answer. "You know having your mother around has changed the way I look at things drastically, I am sure the day you find your beloved your opinions will change"

Xander nodded with no readable expression on his face.

It was almost afternoon when Nick came strolling in to Mia's room. He dropped his laptop on the bed and responded to Mia's confused look with a grin. "I need your help with the physics project" He added, settling opposite to Mia who was probably working on some other project.

"What else do you need my help with?" Mia asked with a snide grin which specifically mocked Nick's.

"Don't have to be rude now, you know this is the only reason I am friends with you" Nick shrugged, however Mia immediately threw a pillow at him which hit his face and then landed on the floor with a thud. "Alright alright!" He yelled. "Xander helped me with English and History. I already did the rest, just help me with physics"

"Why can't Xander help you with that too?" Mia muttered, not raising her head from her notebook.

"He's with Catherine" Nick stated. "Probably breaking up with her"

This was enough to take away Mia's attention from her notebook "What?" She screeched.

Nick raised his eyebrows. "Well what were you expecting?" He said. "Xander lives in a different state, it can't work out like that"

"Oh hello, you were the one who said that-" Mia dropped her voice a pitch down to imitate Nick and said "Xander is not the one to go for short term things"

"That was one of the worst imitations of  me" Nick paused as his phone rang. He picked it up and put it on loudspeaker. "What's up Lukeyboy"

Mia scoffed as she heard Lucas greet Nick with something similarly weird before getting to the point. "I am throwing a party at my place. Take Mia, Xander and drop by right now"

"Mia's doing homework" Nick muttered.

"I am coming Lucas!" Mia snapped, smacking Nick's head with another pillow.