Chapter Two

Mia was used to waking up with fog hovering over her room if she ever woke up early morning. Though her new house now didn't have the same atmosphere, but both her parent's and the Wilson's mansion was higher up the hills, hence this was an everyday thing if she wake up early.

Though it was really very rare for her to wake up this early, especially when she knew there was no school today. Mia rolled out of the bed but kept her blanket around her. It felt as if the cold had increased ten fold within a night.

After taking a warm shower and dressing up as quickly as possible, sge headed downstairs for breakfast. She already had the image of early morning Wilson household, Sebastian, Nick's father would be sitting at the head of the table with his usual cup of espresso in one hand and a news paper on the other. Susan Wilson would be bringing out hot and delicious dishes out of the kitchen and Nick would be trailing behind her.

"Good morning everyone" She said before taking her usual place.

Nick took the place beside hers before asking, "What made you wake up so early?"

"I slept early yesterday, are we going to meet Leah after breakfast?"

"Yeah she asked me to come as early as possible-"

"No one is going out until the fog clears up" Sebastian announced with a stern look at both Nick and Mia before going back to his newspaper.

"We already know that Dad" Nick muttered, rolling his eyes. "Starr, are you coming?"

After muttering goodbye to Nick's parents Mia followed him to his room. They knew the fog would clear up within afternoon so they found something to do till then. Nick proceeded for a work out which followed by a shower. Mia simply sat down with a book.

When the sunlight began illuminating the pages of her book, Mia peered out of the nearest window.  The fog had cleared up.

It took them a little more than twenty minutes to reach Leah's place. Nick was exceptionally quiet today and Mia couldn't remember any specific reason for it. He's usually speaks less but not with her, never with her. She didn't vocalise her thoughts, she'd wait till they are alone. She was also doubting that he was worried for Leah but it didn't seem likely. It was not that Leah had some serious illness.

She let Nick enter Leah's room first and greet her before she did the same herself. Leah sure did look weak, her face was ashen and her eyes looked tired. "You really look sick" Mia finally said, taking the seat beside her on the bed.

"I look a lot better now, I had been a zombie since the last few days"

"Scary" Nick muttered before receiving a punch from Leah. He simply shrugged and grinned in return.

Leah used to play basketball in middle school, but ever since she moved to Silver Lake she hadn't pursued it. Though she still had a basketball basket attached to the wall in front of her bed and a basketball beside her bed, which was currently in Nick's hand as he kept scoring one perfect basket after another. Mia's mind travelled back to the time when Nick left basketball after middle school, but unlike Leah it wasn't because he had a change of mind. It was because of the phase he went through when he started hight school.

The popularity kind of got him, the too cool for school attitude, drugs, fighting at every chance he got to show his new found strength, having way too much alcohol at the parties and other reckless things. Nothing could help him out of it, not his parents, not Mia. He had to be sent off to his relative's house for three months, that was when Leah joined the school and when Nick returned, they were in a relationship even before Mia could blink.

"Isn't he way too quiet today?" Mia asked, her gaze set on Nick as he spun the basketball on his fingers.

Leah looked up from the set of notes Mia had given her and glanced at Nick. "Don't worry, he's just nervous about having his cousin around, he hadn't met him since he came back"

Mia turned to her only female bestfriend with her brows furrowed. "What do you mean? They're the same family Nick stayed with during his phase?"

Leah had a temporary stunned expression on her face but she schooled it. "Yeah" She muttered, lowering her face over the notes.

"I don't understand why he's being so shady about it to me, I asked him yesterday about these relatives he simply diverted the topic"

"What topic did I divert?" Nick interrupted, sitting down on the bed with a thud.

Leah glared at him. "You're gonna break my bed" She shouted when Nick didn't seem phased by her glare.

"Someday" He replied with a wink.

Mia rolled her eyes. "Gross" She muttered. "Gimme your car keys, I'll go meet Lucas he had borrowed my project last week and hadn't returned it yet"

Nick took out the car keys from his back pocket but pulled them put of Mia's grasp before she could grip it.

"Give that to me moron" She grumbled, not even trying to get the keys back. Nick was way too faster. Hence there was no point in trying.

Realising that he won't get any rise out of Mia, he threw the keys on her lap. "Kill joy" He said before rolling his eyes.

Mia didn't forget to throw back a smirk at his direction before walking out of Leah's room. She had no intention of going to meet Lucas, she wanted to drive back to her place and spend some time lazying in her room. She loved the Wilson's but she had to learn living alone, no one's going to stay with her forever.

Leah's house was closer to hers than Nick's. She didn't knew why the Wilson's chose to stay on hills rather than the town, but she knew why her parent's decided to do so inspite of hating every moment there. Her grandfather had been way too adamant about not letting his family go anywhere but there, her father had simply followed a family tradition.

"Humans were more dangerous than animals" He used to say everytime he was asked why was he so adamant about not letting his family move out. He even went as far as setting up his will in a way that her father would lose rest of the property if he moved out of the with his family or tried to sell the house. However, this didn't come off to Mia, it was limited to her father and the tradition ended right there. Mia would've loved to stay on the hills but the mansion was way too big for her to stay alone.

She parked Nick's car out in front and unlocked the door welcoming the warmth of her humble abode. The first thing she did was turn her coffee machine on and by the time her coffee was done, she had piled her homework on her sofa. Turning the TV on for the much required background noise she picked her cup from the kitchen and settled down against the corner of the sofa.

Mia like having the voices from tv when she studied, it made her feel less lonely and she was used to doing it since she had stepped in to her teens. It did distract her from her work in the beginning but she was used to it now. Saving her favourite subject for the last, she started with the subject she hated the most.

Halfway through her work, Nick knocked on the door and pestered her for an hour to return to the Wilson household. He left grunting and grumbling because of his failure to change Mia's mind. More angry on himself than his best friend, he knew Mia had a iron will and maybe the day Sun stopped coming up he'd be able to shake it. Lucky day it would be, indeed.