Chapter Ten

Mia couldn't sleep. Catherine had not returned to the room and just the thought of Catherine sleeping in Xander's room disgusted her. Leah had sneaked off to Nick's room a few minutes ago thinking that Mia was asleep whereas she simply pretended to be. Silly girl.

Even though the Wilson's kept the mansion heated all time, there was a certain chill in the air today. Mia raised herself up and leaned against the head board. She searched for her phone below her pillow and started browsing for clothes. She had lost the box that held all the clothes she wore instead of the one that was stuffed with all those bodycon dresses, peplum tops and lace shirts. She'd have a heart attack if she saw herself in them. Even the mirror might break.

An hour of ordering things later, her stomach grumbled. It was 3 in the morning and she had dinner almost 6 hours ago. Moving the blanket off her body she slid down her bed and searched for her slippers, once she had them on she set out on her midnight adventure to the kitchen.

There were times she was glad that the Wilson mansion was big, one of the times were tonight. The silence was welcome to her, she has been speculating a thousand things lately in her head. A break was much needed.

She made her way down the stairs, through the empty lounge to the kitchen. The fridge was stocked as always. Mia took out the leftover chicken alfredo she had for dinner and put it in the microwave for heating. A bottle of apple juice was the next thing she took out, before walking over to the shelves and taking out a dish and a spoon. Once the chicken was done heating she poured some on her plate and turned to finally leave the kitchen.

She returned to her room and turned the lights on, before shutting the door when a sudden chill passed through her body. She set the plate and the bottle of juice on her bed. She had absolutely no idea why her room felt so cold all of a sudden, the rest of the house felt fairly warm when she was walking back to her room. Her feet and palm were turning cold with every breath she took. She quickly turned and reached for the door to reopen it, however the lock refused to budge.

Mia's lips shivered as she repeatedly tried to turn the lock while the room got colder and colder with every of her failed attempts. She left the door and ran over to the bed, searching for her phone. She remembered that she had left it somewhere on the bed but with the tips of her fingers turning numb slowly, she couldn't manage much. She put the food down on her bed side table and wrapped the blanket around her. Her phone was still no where to be seen.

She walked back over to the door and began pounding against it, screaming as loud as her throat would allow. She wasn't sure how long it took for Nick to break the door and pull her out of the room but even when she was out she grasped for air and couldn't feel anyone's touch on her skin.

An hour or so later, Mia sat inside Nick's room with a new blanket wrapped around her. A doctor had just left confirming that her vitals were stable but she needed rest if she wanted to be fit again. Currently Nick was gone with the others to examine what went wrong in her room's heating arrangement which left Leah beside her and Catherine nonchalantly typing away on her mobile. Apparently she was pissed at her (again) for spoiling her night with Xander.

Mia could care less about it, but her brain kept drawing out images of Catherine with Xander which disgusted her more than anything in the world. The cold had got to her brain maybe, after all the doctor hadn't checked on her brain activity.

"Would you stop biting you nails Leah" She snapped, glaring at get best friend.

"I'm tensed" Leah replied, resting her hands on her lap. "Someone tried to kill you Mia"

Mia rolled her eyes. "Nick's rubbing off on you. Something must have went wrong with the heating system. Don't turn this as an attempt to murder"

"Or maybe just a way to grab attention" Catherine interjected.

"Say something like that again I'd make sure you don't step in this house again and I don't drop fake threats"

Both Catherine and Leah's mouth dropped open at Mia's reply.

"The heater had some problems, we fixed it. Why is your mouth open like that Leah?"

Leah closed her mouth and turned to Nick. She had been so flabbergasted with Mia's response that she hadn't noticed Nick come in. "Oh nothing." She said, leaning back against the head board.

Nick sighed before taking a glance at Mia and sitting down beside her. Leah could see that he was tensed, the no-nonsense side of him only came out when something serious happened and she doubted that whatever happened with Mia was because of the heater.

Knowing the world she lived in, she knew things weren't as simple as they looked like always.

"Xander would you please drop Catherine home?" Leah said, watching Catherine's glare shift from Mia to her.

"Who are you to decide that?" Catherine snapped.

"Dear, I think we all need some time alone after everything that has happened" Susanne interjected. "Go home and take some rest. Our driver is here he'd drop you. Xander is tired too, it wouldn't be safe for him to drive now." She added sweetly. "The authorities have cleared up the mess left from the landslide too"

Catherine couldn't object to Susanne, neither could she throw a tantrum on her face. So she left without any further objection. However it was not Catherine, Leah was focused on at the moment.

Leah thought Xander would catch her staring the moment she laid her eyes upon him but his eyes were unmoving as he stared at Mia, the stress was evident on his face as he looked at her. His gaze broke when Sebastian and Jonathan entered the room, even Mia seemed to come out of whatever trance she was in.

"How are you feeling now Starr?" Sebastian asked, walking over to the bed and sitting down beside Mia.

"I'm perfectly healthy, just a little bit hungry" She said with a smile. "Did you check what went wrong in my room?"

Sebastian's face hardened at the question, however he schooled his expression and shook his head. "We know there was something wrong with the heater, but we need an electrical engineer to know what exactly happened."

"Oh okay. Just make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else." She muttered.

Jonathan stepped forward, clearing his throat. "We found your phone below the bed" he said, pulling out the phone from his pocket and handing it over to Mia.

"Thank you" She smiled, happy that at least her phone was working. With the amount of mishaps happening with her, you never know which would be the next thing she lost.

"You have to spend the day here, we'd arrange another room for you by the night" Sebastian said, leaning over to kiss Mia on her head and getting up. "I'll do everything to keep my Starr safe, you know that right?"

Mia's smile was enough to answer him.

"I'll bring you girls some snack" Susanne announced and walked over to Mia for a quick hug. She left the room followed by everyone else, leaving Mia, Nick, Xander and Leah.

It was then Xander noticed Leah observing him, he quickly turned his gaze away from Mia. Nick noticed the movement and looked up, however there was nothing abnormal and Leah wanted to wait before she reached any final conclusion to break to him.