December 3, 2021

I watched as the opponent walked over, its steps being loud almost vibrating the board with each of its sinister booms. The opponent cracked its huge hands against each other preparing to dominate my side. I trusted our owner, its name is unknown to us so we refer to it as the player.

The player sets us up carefully placing every one of us delicately on our given spot. I am what is known as a pawn, while I may not seem like a huge part of the game, I am one of the most important, I start the whole game.

My buddy next to me moved first. It was a double move straight forward. This is a very ambitious start for the first move of the game. I was not sure the player would be able to win this time, however we could never be sure how it went.

The opponent did it too so they both seemed to be new at the game, this is okay good even.

It does not matter if we win because nothing will happen, other than our player flipping the table like the very exemplary loser he is.

Anyways, the game continued to not be very tense, nothing seemed to have really happened.

When our rook was captured, I could see the sweat that dripped down the players face. I highly do assume that the game was spoiled even from the first move. But I am not one to talk as I am only a simple piece.

The clock buzzed softly with the same exact sublime tone and I could see the players face look fairly stressed. Almost every move would end badly. So he sacrificed me, usually I would not care too much about this but I was upset. Am I really so disposable that I could be sacrificed so easily.

The player ended up losing, and though it was wrong I felt that it deserved it for sacrificing me. The board was cleared and a new game commenced. I made a decrepit plan. This time I decided I would control the game.

Money was bet on this 20 dollars to be exact. I'm not exactly sure the worth of money but games tend to be more intense when money is involved.

This gave me even more spirit to ruin all of its chances of winning this game.

The game was doing a lot better than usual, our player was winning and it sure did show it, jumping up to dance every time it took the opponents pieces.

Then it was my turn. It moved me to be sacrificed once again. I would not allow this targeted madness only angled towards myself.

So I simply did not move. I stuck to the board because I would not allow myself to be used like a simple toy again.

The player looked a little embarrassed and coolly reproached it again. Once again I didnt move. The opponent began to look a little angry because he had thought that the player was trying to pull a joke on it.

Maybe it was not the right thing to do, perhaps it was mean spirited, and it was, however I did not care because in that moment I took the game into my own hands and fought for what I believed in.

Still to this day I will never move from my place, I have been tried and pried by it and my fellow pieces tell me to give up. But I will never give up. Other pieces don't care about how they are treated but they should because they matter just like I do.

I used to think I did not matter but now I know I have to just make myself matter and that's how I will never ever be sacrificed again.