~ Chapter Two : Surprising Interconnections ~

" It was? " I asked in confusion. With all of the stories one hears about such a heroic figure, you would think he would be friendlier, more approachable or. . .perhaps taller for starters.

" IT SURE WAS!!! " Emmeline yelled in my face as she dragged me off, away from the crowd.

" Goodness Emmeline, calm down! It's not a big deal! " I yelped, shaking loose from her tight grip.

" You just bumped into one of the biggest figures in this entire town! Of course it's a big deal! " She scolded me as we began to make our way back to the Nursing Office.

It took us a while to arrive back. Many of the nurses went to watch the Scouts depart, some saying goodbye to their lovers or family, or some just simply being dragged along by friends like me. I sat down on one of the wooden stools and heaved a sigh, tired from the long walk back.

" Here. " Emmeline kindly handed me a small glass of water. I thanked her and sipped the drink rather quickly as I wiped sweat from my forehead. " There isn't much to do right now, but when the soldiers come back, we'll be overloaded with work! " Emmeline complained as she pulled a stool next to me. " Wanna relax for a while? It'll do us some good before all of them get back. " She coaxed.

" I guess so. But first, let's prepare the supplies. Then, when they return, we don't have to rush to get them prepared for everyone. " I told her as she rolled her eyes.

" Fine. " She groaned, getting up.

We began to replace bandage rolls and herbal medicine to all of the cabinets, filling them all to the brim. I restocked adhesives, cleaned tongs, replaced bottles of pain relievers and ointments, and much more. Once we were finished, we calculated that an hour and a half had passed, judging by the shadows cast outside. " Hurry up, let's go read some of the books in the office! " Emmeline grabbed my wrist and started to drag me back inside. She loved to read the stories some of the nurses would bring for the wounded to enjoy while they recovered from injuries. I have to admit, it was nice to get sucked into a world of fantasy once in a while. But it didn't take long for nurses to begin to crowd the office in a frantic panic, preparing for a tsunami of wounded individuals to flood the room. Emmeline and I began to gather our own supplies, snatching bandages, cloth dressings, ointments, pain relievers, and other items useful to us. Just as I set down my basket and reached to organize everything, the flutter of the forest green capes began to blur my vision. The soldiers had arrived, and shortly after a couple of brief moments, I knew the mission wasn't successful.

I helped coach most of the nurses, giving them rushed advice on how to reduce the pain of a titan bite, handing out supplies, and relaxing first day ladies who were scared out of their minds. No one had occupied my bed yet, since I was typically reserved for more gravely injured people. Emmeline was hard at work, tending to a man who seemed to have been attacked by a titan. His leg was bleeding severely, Emmeline quickly applying pressure to the wound with layers of linen cloth. I turned to the door as the rush began to calm down, walking over to close it.

" Wait! Can you fit one more?! " Two individuals ran to the door, one carrying a body and the other dragging slightly behind.

" Yes, is it severe?! " I yelled as they rushed inside, placing the wounded soldier on the cot as I rushed to their side.

" We're not sure. . .she was so excited to see one of the titans we were trying to eliminate and got attacked. " A tall, blonde man with deep blue eyes responded to me. I stayed silent as I lifted her hood, checking her pulse and beginning to search her body for wounds.

" Still breathing fine. Left arm swollen and broken. Left portion of her head took some damage. Left leg dislocated and possibly broken as well. " I mumbled to myself, taking verbal and mental notes as I continued to inspect her wounds, grabbing two splints. " What in the hell happened to her?! Most of her injuries seem to be focused on the left portion of her body. " I asked as I ripped off her sleeve, adjusting a sling and immobilizing her arm.