~ Chapter Twelve : On Hold ~

I was left speechless as I held Tiffany's unconscious body in my arms, her eyes closed as sweat began to bead on her forehead. She was much lighter than I had imagined her to be, even with the many layers she was wearing.

I took my sleeve and gently wiped the sweat off of her as Emmeline ran to me, kneeling and checking Tiffany's pulse. 

" She's isn't breathing at a normal rate. Someone get a nurse with medical supplies, quickly! " A couple of Scouts heard Emmeline's desperate pleas for help, rapidly rushing out of the room to fulfill her anxious request. '' How was she acting today? Anything off? " Emmeline asked. 

" It looked like something was irritating her. . .she looked sick to her stomach. . . " I replied. 

" Must have been in pain. That narrows it down. Something she could have eaten or maybe a stomach bug, mixed in with stress and anxiety. . .that could have caused this. " Emmeline whispered to herself, keeping an eye on her friend's pulse. Nurses rushed into the room, holding what seemed to be some sort of briefcases. They kneeled beside me and began to examine Tiffany, asking Emmeline about the situation as they took out all sorts of medical equipment. 

" Did she fall hard? " A nurse asked me, carefully untying Tiffany's bun and looking for any injuries on her head. 

" I caught her before she could fall. " The Nurses told me to take her to the Clinic, where she could rest and be properly examined. I heard the judge claim to give a half hour break in order to get Tiffany back on her feet. I gently picked her up, Emmeline resting Tiffany's head on my chest. I swear I could feel my face reddening, worried as I felt her weak breathing on my neck.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

We ran to the Clinic, the Nurses helping me lay Tiffany on an empty cot. I was told to back up to free space as they began to check her once again. 

" . . .All we can do now is wait for her to wake up. . . '' Emmeline looked up to me, a worried expression painted across her face. I let out an impatient sigh as the Nurses slowly dispersed, leaving us alone to wait. I began to think about what could have been the cause behind this. Was it the food I gave her? I asked myself. She could be going through some form of food poisoning. But that wouldn't make any sense. I don't believe food poisoning makes you lose consciousness. I couldn't think of anything that could have possibly happened to her, at least from what I've seen. Giving up on trying to analyze the situation, I looked for a chair to sit down on. I managed to pull one over to me and sit down as Emmeline adjusted the blankets on Tiffany's cot.

She looked at peace when she was at rest, all of the day's worries drained from her consciousness. I realized her hair was an absolute mess, golden-brunette strands scattered around her face. Her long eyelashes intertwined with one another, giving her a sort of angelic look as her faint breathing was heard in the silent room. 

" . . .Has she caught your eye, sir? " Emmeline asked in a mocking tone. I averted my eyes away from Tiffany. 

" Caught my what? " I acted as if I hadn't heard her.

" Has Tiffany caught your eye? " She said slowly. " You keep staring at her, and your ears get all red- " She laughed as I opened my mouth to respond, but I was too embarrassed to even come up with an excuse. I ignored her, resting my chin on my palm in a messy attempt to cover my reddening face. She got up and left, laughing to herself, leaving me alone with Tiffany. I couldn't help but watch her fragile frame. On reflex, I reached over to move her hair out of her face, her skin as soft as silk as I brushed the brunette strands away. " So she has caught your eye, hm? " I jumped back, almost toppling over my chair. Emmeline laughed to herself as she hovered over the foot of the cot. Before she could ask for an explanation, our eyes caught something moving.

Someone. . .moving.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I opened my eyes, the lights blinding me as my blurred vision began to clear and adjust. I immediately met eyes with the Captain, who hovered worriedly over me. 

" Tiffany? " He whispered softly. " Are you alright? "

" How do you feel? '' Emmeline appeared on my other side. I tried to respond, but I became nauseous, covering my mouth as I carefully sat up. '' Tiffany? '' Emmeline questioned me, holding my wrist. I motioned that I felt like I was going to vomit, making her act quickly. 

" What's wrong?! " The Captain asked anxiously as Emmeline got out a bag for me. I tried to calm down, but it was no use. Whatever I ate for breakfast this morning left my stomach immediately. 

" Oh my- '' Emmeline gasped as she tied my hair back. She gave me a damp towel to clean myself as I laid back, my throat aching. 

" I don't understand- " The Captain said to himself, puzzled. 

'' Tiffany, I'm going to need you to recall everything you've consumed within the last 48 hours. " Emmeline commanded. I cleared my throat, the nausea slowly easing away. 

" . . .Breakfast- . . .the soup that was served for dinner last night. . .the rations for lunch. . ." I trailed off. " What about drinks? " Emmeline was writing everything down. " Water. . .mostly water. . .overly steeped tea. . ."

" Stop right there. What kind of tea? "

" . . .I don't remember the flavor. You had it too, no?- Pearl gave it to us- "

The Captain got up furiously from his chair, slamming it as he walked off. 

" LEVI!- " I covered my mouth, realizing I had called him by his first name. He froze, slowly turning around.

" I-. . .Sorry- . . .G-get back here! " I stuttered. He sheepishly walked over, not meeting my eyes as he sat back down. 

" We need to refrain from dumping the blame on someone here. This is a serious matter, and we don't want false accusations going around in here. " Emmeline commanded, the Captain nodding. I gasped. 

" What about the court meeting?! " I jolted up from the bed. They both pushed me back down, Levi standing up. 

" It's been put on hold until we can at least get you back on your feet. " I leaned my head back and closed my eyes in irritation. 

" Emmeline, you stay here and take care of her until I return. "  I heard the Captain say. I felt someone grab my hand, feeling a soft breath near my ear. 

" Stay here and get better. I promise I'll win this court case. . .for you. "