6

Bradley poured herself a heavy glass of her favorite drink and slowly walked in circles around her office. When she heard a knock on the door, she prepared herself to engage in conversation. "Come in."

"Hey. Can we talk?" Her father walked in and closed the door behind him.

"Are you here as the voice of Mom?"

Frank shook his head. "No. Bradley, I've asked her to stop. But you know how she is."

"I know," Bradley mumbled. "Want a glass?"

"Sure." Frank sat down and rubbed his temples. When Bradley handed him his drink, he noticed how tense his daughter was. "I've waited for the day you would finally tell me. It never came. So I guess I'll have to open the topic myself."

Bradley quirked a brow. "And that is?"

"You think I wouldn't find out about you and that girl from legal?"

Bradley felt her heart fall to her feet. "Uh." She rubbed the side of her neck with her hand. "I'm—"

"It doesn't bug me. I just thought you'd be the one to tell me rather than me confronting you."

"Didn't think you'd want to hear about my sexuality." Bradley tightened her grip on her glass. "And Sally and I broke up a long time ago."

"I figured. She's been seeing someone else in the office." Frank sighed. "Bradley, I love you. Nothing's going to change that. And I never want you to end up like me." His voice lowered as he thought of what else to say.

"Like your marriage with Mom?"

Frank nodded. "My father didn't give me much of a choice when it came to the women in my life. Your mom was the one woman I actually liked, so I married her. That kind of wild love was never my destiny. But you," Frank acknowledged his daughter with his soft, brown eyes. "I want you to be find someone that will really make you happy. And have some of that real love that I've missed out on."

Bradley considered her father's whole-heartened declaration. "You regret it? Marrying her?"

Frank stood and finished his drink. "I don't. I do care for your mother. And I do love her. Maybe it's not the love one would wish for. But we had you. And we have a decent life together."

Bradley nodded as her father handed her his empty glass. "So you're not going to be mad if I bring a girl home?"

Frank laughed. "You've been bringing your girlfriends home since you were seventeen. Your mom just didn't know it." He smiled at Bradley. "But I did." He winked and walked to the door. When the door closed behind him, Bradley let out a breath of relief. She was grateful for his approval, realizing that it was something that she needed.