12

Life seemed unusual for the next few days. Bradley enjoyed going home with the expectation of spending time with someone. Taylor was either already there, or sometimes Bradley would wait for her to get home. And they'd have dinner together. Before they watched tv, or sometimes, they'd go for a walk.

"Thinking about your girlfriend?" Sally peaked into Bradley's office, giggling.

"Oh, shut up." Bradley would blush but she had too much paperwork in front of her to even feel relaxed enough to do so. "I'm way too busy to have a girlfriend."

"Knowing you, you might have a girl on her knees under that desk of yours."

Bradley shook her head. "You sometimes forget that I'm your superior, don't you?"

Sally grinned, walked in and closed the door. "After the filthy things I let you do to me, I'd think we can call ourselves colleagues."

Bradley pushed some papers away and leaned her head back. She decided to redirect the topic. "You're always up here every time you get the chance. Things going good with your girl?"

Sally smiled widely. "Yes, yes, it is. We filed it with HR and everything. It's getting pretty serious."

"Good for you."

"Is that jealousy I see? If you still carry a torch for me, you just have to say so."

"We were never that serious to begin with," Bradley leaned forward and looked at Sally. "I'm happy for you, I'm serious."

Sally smiled. "Thanks."

The phone rung and Sally took that as her chance to leave. "Yes?"

"Miss, someone's here to see you. She's not one of your appointments. Her name's Wendy Tate. Should I let her in?"

"I don't know who that is."

Bradley heard some incoherent talking over the line before the receptionist spoke again. "She said she's Taylor's mom? Should I tell her you're in a meeting?"

"No, no." Bradley began to feel nervous. "Send her to my office."

Bradley placed her hands over her face and took a few deep breaths to get her blood rushing. Staring at the door, she wasn't sure where their conversation would lead. But she was sure it wasn't going to be friendly.

When Wendy walked into Bradley's office, Bradley could see the distress on her face. "Thanks for seeing me." Bradley gestured her hand for Wendy  to sit but she stayed standing.

"What can I do for you?" Bradley sat up, clasped her hands in front of her and waited for her to speak.

"You can send my daughter home. I know she's been staying with you."

Bradley stood and walked around her desk. "That's for her to decide."

"What are your intentions? She's very young and impressionable. And—"

"I'm only looking out for her. She's safe, Miss Tate. You don't have to worry."

"That's nice of you. But she needs to come home. She can't play sleepover with you forever."

"She will when she's ready."

Wendy was frustrated. "Do you know why she's acting like this? She needs her mother not some—" she waved her hand. "I don't know what to call you, since I clearly don't know you."

"You seemed to like me well enough when it came to your son. Why can't I be your daughter's friend?"

"Oh, you," she shook her index finger. "If only you knew what she's been up to, you wouldn't want her in your home."

Bradley crossed her arms over her chest. "I already know, Miss Tate. Why would that bother me? And I really want to know why that bothers you so much."

Wendy narrowed her eyes. "Wait, are you—that's gotta be it. It's the only reason you'd turn down my boy. You must be a lesbian too."

"And?" Bradley quirked her brow. "Taylor needs some compassion in her life. And you're clearly not someone she can't be herself with."

"If you think you can take my daughter away from me, I'm warning you."

"I'm not trying to take anyone." Bradley could laugh at how bizarre their conversation was. "I'm being a friend to your daughter. She seems to need one."

"Touch my daughter and I will—"

"So you love me for your son. But no, I can't even look in your daughter's direction." Bradley raised her hands to intensify her humor. "Be glad if I date you daughter. You can add some more dollar signs before and after your name."

"You're an awful person. I don't want you around any of my kids!"

"It's their choice to make, not mine, you crazy bitch."

"We'll see what your parents have to say about this."

"Your threats are of no use here. You should leave." Bradley walked behind her desk and picked up the phone.

"Send her home or else!"

"I need security in my office," I told the receptionist.

"No need." Wendy raised her hand. Her face was flushed from her outrage. "I'll go but just remember, I always get my way."

Bradley looked at her storming out of her office. "She's leaving. Just make sure security confirms that she's out of the building." Bradley sat down and stared at the piles of paper in front of her. "If only security could handle this too."