Chapter 11

"George, are you ready?"

George was standing inside Philza's building, staring at the large wooden door of his office. It was the only thing currently separating him from the man who seemed to keep making odd appearances in his life these days.

"George?"

Sapnap spoke again, and George's eyes flickered in his direction. He was the furthest thing from ready, and the only thing he could think about was the strange connection between him and a man he was sure he had never met before.

Sapnap was staring at him with a worried expression, but George couldn't seem to form any reassuring words. The only thing he could do was desperately try to recall how he knew the name Philza. It was his last chance to figure it out before he walked through that door.

Dream stepped between them, and George's eyes lifted up towards him. His hand moved as if in slow motion, and he touched George's jaw lightly as he said, "George, if you don't want to go in there, you don't have to. Just say the word, and we'll leave."

George nodded, blinking up at Dream and swallowing hard. He always felt more grounded when Dream was beside him, and the overwhelming panic in his chest subsided slowly as he focused on Dream's thumb trailing slowly over his cheekbone.

"I'm fine," George finally managed, "I can do it. I want to see him."

The last part wasn't fully true, it was more that he felt he needed to see Philza to understand everything that was going on. From Philza asking for him, to Wilbur working for him; nothing was making any sense. It made his head spin, and this was his one chance at finally getting some clarity.

Dream nodded, stepping back to his place beside George. Sapnap rounded him to stand on the opposite side, and George took a slow breath as Sapnap reached for the handle and said, "just remember, we're right here with you."

George gave him a grateful smile, warming with affection as he muttered, "I know, thanks. Let's just get this over with."

With a quick nod, Sapnap was twisting the handle and disappearing into Philza's office. He was expecting them, and George could hear the muffled greeting from his place in the hallway.

When he made no attempt to move, a large hand closed around his own, and Dream gave it a light squeeze as he said, "don't worry, George. I won't let anything happen to you."

George gave him a small smile, and then he finally stepped forward. Dream's hand fell away as they stepped through the doorway, and George's eyes crawled up from the floor to take in the spacious office that he had just stepped foot in.

It was larger than he had expected, with lots of windows that let in the late afternoon sunlight. His eyes swept over the room quickly, taking everything in and assessing the area. Before he could even think to glance at the man sitting behind the desk, George's eyes caught on a framed photo sitting on a nearby bookshelf.

Instinctively, he stepped forward, eyebrows furrowing as he looked at an image he knew well. It was a picture of his parents, sitting side by side on a bench. And in his mother's arms was a much younger version of himself. It had been taken a lifetime ago, and it was one of the only pictures George had ever seen of the three of them together.

His chest tightened at the sight of it, and he felt Dream step closer to him as he spoke his name. But George's head was spinning, and Dream's voice sounded so distant. It didn't make any sense, what was this picture doing in Philza's office?

"George."

It was a different voice that spoke his name this time. Not Dream or Sapnap, but still a voice that George knew extremely well. Even if he hadn't heard it in years, he'd still know exactly who it belonged to. The sound of it made his whole body freeze on the spot, and it suddenly felt like the air was being squeezed from his lungs. None of it made sense, because none of it was possible.