Four

First Draft

Johannes could only handle a veritable crush for so long before needing some air and a stiff drink. He was hot and his cravat felt too tight like it was choking him. As he made his way through the crowd, he spotted the Earl of Blakley with his betrothed, Lady Eleanor. Gerald must have seen Johannes coming and motioned him over with his hand above his head. Johannes obliged, promising himself he would go outside for air soon.

"Hayward, my friend! I see you've been busy dancing with almost every female here tonight." Gerald sided up to Johannes, smiling, and clapped him on the back.

"Blakley, I'm feeling too old for all this and 'tis stifling in here." Johannes pulled at his cravat again and let out a long breath of air.

"Old..." Lady Eleanor giggled. "Your Grace, you are much too young to act so long in the tooth. You and Gerald should go for some air and-"

"Oh, my lady," Johannes interrupted, placing his hand over his heart, "that would be splendid if you do not mind me taking your intended away for a moment."

"Not at all."

"Do I get a say in this?" Gerald asked, looking between the two.

"No, and you best get used to it, mate, 'Tis what marriage is all about." Johannes winked at Lady Eleanor and placed his palm on Gerald's back, leading him away.

As the two meandered through the bodies along the way, Johannes noticed Miss Wakefield in the arms of some dandy. The sight irked him, but he brushed it off, paying attention to where he was going. He wouldn't want to trip and fall in front of everyone, causing a scene over some chit. Get it together, ole boy. She's a charming beauty but a servant. A servant, for god's sake! A fact that no one can alter or change, he reminded himself. But she sure is beautiful, especially when she blushes.

It was hard not to sigh aloud when he saw the door-like it was beckoning him. As they neared, a servant bowed and held it open wide, allowing them out into the inky night. Johannes inhaled and pulled on his cravat before reaching inside his waistcoat. "Would you like a nip, Blakley?" He held out the flask of whisky, offering it up to Gerald.

"No thanks, mate. I've already imbibed enough and want to enjoy the rest of the night being sober. I still cannot believe that Eleanor is going to be my wife. My wife, Hayward!"

"Your wife... and your countess, you lucky dog. I'm still surprised myself." Johannes shrugged and grinned before taking a large sip of whisky. He groaned as the strong drink made its way down, warming his insides and relaxing his taut muscles. "This is good stuff, Blakley. Are you positive..."

"I'm sure," Gerald assured and held up his palm. "Listen, chap... I know we haven't always been the best of friends..."

"Yet we are now," Johannes announced.

"Yes, and I cherish our friendship. Which is why I want you to be my best man."

"I'd be honored, Blakely. You know the tradition, right? I'm the only one allowed to know where you're going for the honeymoon..." Johannes winked and gave Gerald a light punch to the arm.

"As for that, I'm undecided at the moment. But you shall be the first to know."

While Johannes valued his friendship with Gerald, his mind kept wandering to a certain flame-haired goddess. Once there, it strayed to said goddess bathing in lavender water. He felt immense shame for daydreaming about Georgina Wakefield while Gerald was asking him to stand as best man during sacred vows. But she bathes in lavender water! What red-blooded man wouldn't think about it?

"Great, Blakley. If you need anything, just ask me," Johannes said, hoping Gerald hadn't noticed his mind was elsewhere. Yes, I'm a bloody cad!

"What I need... is to go back inside to my future countess."

Johannes laughed. "Go on, you whipped dog. I'm going to take a walk, smoke a cheroot before coming back in. I became overheated with all those people vying for my attention since I've inherited the dukedom."

"Sure thing, Hayward, I understand. I saw all the match-making mamas flocking you and shoving their daughters in your face. You know how to put a stop to it, right?"

"Let me hazard a guess... you think I should marry? Well, I'm not ready to fall prey to the parson's mousetrap yet. Furthermore, I get enough of that from my mother, Blakley."

Gerald held his palms up, shaking his head as his body jerked from suppressed mirth. "'Tis a jest." He gave in and laughed aloud. "'Tis only a jest, I once thought you were a scalawag, but the truth is out... you're just pigeon-livered!"

"Pigeon-livered? I'm not afraid of being married... just not ready to be tied down, you pompous foozler. Now, go to your blushing bride." Johannes shook his head, chuckling. He loved bantering with Gerald.

"And you take your walk, my friend." He slapped Johannes on the back, leaving him alone to walk under the stars and inhale the salty sea air.

As he made his way around the back of the assembly room, he was feeling more himself. He flicked his cheroot to the ground, crushing it with his boot, and retrieved his flask. "One more drink and I'll return to the madness inside," he whispered into the wind.

With reluctance, he started back around the building, intending to say his farewells and head back to his rented room. The hour had grown late and Johannes was all danced and talked out. Right now, he only wanted peace, quiet, and a soft bed.

He rounded the corner and ran smack dab into the fiery siren, who'd captured his thoughts all night. "Woah," Johannes yelped.

"Damn," Georgina said in apparent shock as she stumbled.

Johannes grasped Georgina's upper arms to steady her. "Forgive me, Miss Wakefield."

Georgina, ashamed of her foul language, placed a hand over her mouth, her eyes round as saucers.

"Are you injured?" he asked.

She removed her hand from her mouth and glanced down at his large hands encasing her arms. "No, Your Grace. I'm perfectly fine. Please, unhand me."

His muscled torso was still flush with her heaving chest and he made the mistake of glancing down before quickly looking back up into her eyes. Johannes released his grip and said, "Pardon me. I did not want you to fall."

"No, I apologize, Your Grace. I shouldn't have been so harsh. You startled me."

"'Tis understandable," he said, still standing too close to her. She bathes in lavender water, Johannes thought and resisted the urge to groan. Step away and escort her safely back inside before you do something rash and stupid.

♥♥♥

Things are heating up pretty fast between these two. I wasn't intending on it but my characters always end up doing what they want when they want! Please vote if you enjoyed this chapter. More coming soon.

Lady Lisa