Eleven

First Draft

Georgina was mortified and having a hard time looking Lady Margaret in the eye. This was the most embarrassing moment of her life. She was on pins and needles, waiting for the axe to fall. While the countess was always kind, she wasn't stupid, and Georgina had ruined her chances for a new beginning by her scandalous actions. Twice tonight, she had acted like a dollymop or lightskirt. What was I thinking? I wasn't.

"Now, puss, we must have a serious talk," Lady Margaret said as she paced her private sitting room. "But first I need a nightcap and a nerve powder. Would you like a nightcap? You appear flushed, Georgie."

"No, my lady. You are kind to offer. I know what you will say. Let me save you the trouble."

Margaret cackled with her back to Georgina as she poured her signature brandy and nerve powder concoction. "I doubt that, puss."

"I will pack tonight and be gone by first light," Georgina said with more bravado than she felt while looking at the floor.

"Why, you will do no such thing, child!" Margaret spun around and approached the chaise lounge, where Georgina sat in her shame. "Look at me, Georgie," she demanded.

"This isn't that sort of talk. 'Tis far more important and you are going nowhere. I need you here and you should be here." Lady Margaret sat beside Georgina and patted the distraught girl's leg.

That simple act of humanity was all it took for Georgina to break down. The sobs came and wracked her small body. Lady Margaret placed her arm around the tiny girl and whispered reassurances. When Georgina's sobs turned to hiccups, Margaret rubbed her back.

"Now, now, child. A good cry can cleanse the soul. Let me get you some water for those wretched hiccups."

While the countess retrieved a glass of water, Georgina tried to calm down, wiping the moisture from her eyes. "Countess, I need a kerchief. I can't breathe."

"Here's some water." She handed the glass to Georgina and reached into her bosom and pulled out a pristine silk white handkerchief and held it out to Georgina.

Georgina laughed, accepted the cloth, and preceded to blow her nose.

"Do you feel better, love?"

"Much," Georgina said. "Thank you for being so amiable. I do not deserve your generosity."

"Of course you do. We need to talk about men. I know you're tired tonight, puss, but this won't take long. We can wrap it up tomorrow."

"Yes, my lady." Georgina, while relieved she wasn't getting sacked, felt the shame all over again.

"I'm sure you know what happens between a man and a woman..."

Georgina nodded her head. She wouldn't tell Lady Margaret she had heard and seen first-hand from her mother and her many suitors.

"Good. What you experienced tonight with Lymington... was natural. A natural reaction to a man you are attracted to. You are passionate about each other. I noticed it immediately."

"But, Countess... 'tis not proper to act like that as an unmarried woman."

"Oh, poppycock! The only thing you did wrong was to appear too available."

"Exactly! I acted like a lightskirt and I'm filled with remorse."

"Puss, that is not what I meant. I think you care for Lymington and he cares for you. He only holds back because he's a duke. So, if you want to land him... reel him in, so to speak, you must listen to me carefully. I've got a surefire way to hook him." She winked at a befuddled Georgina.

"But—"

"None of that. I know what you will say. You don't want to marry him. Yet, child, you do. You'll see." Margaret winked at an open-mouthed Georgina. "Now off to bed, little lamb. What I walked in on tonight will be our little secret. It just reiterated what I already knew. On the morrow, I'll explain some more. Men are really simple creatures."

Georgina stood on shaking legs and gave the countess a clumsy curtsy before fleeing.

♥♥♥

Johannes paced his small room and stared at the bed. Although he was mentally exhausted and the hour was late, he couldn't bring himself to crawl beneath the coverlet. As he walked to the looking glass, Johannes rubbed his bare chest thinking about her hands on him and said, "'Tis time to return to London, old boy." He would pack in the morning and head to Lady Margaret's townhouse to speak with Gerald, the Earl of Blakley, regarding his honeymoon and wedding before saying his goodbyes to everyone. He'd have to be strong around Miss Wakefield, the tempting spitfire, once more.

With some distance, Johannes could return for Gerald and Eleanor's wedding, and perhaps his need for Georgina would have waned. Johannes shimmied out of his breeches and climbed into bed, and prayed sleep would take him fast. He didn't want to toss and turn, thinking of a redheaded siren with golden eyes. Lucky for him, he was asleep within minutes with dreams of a fire-haired nymph with amber eyes beckoning him throughout the night.

Johannes awoke feeling like the wheels of a carriage had run him over. He drank too much the night before and slept poorly, with flashes of Georgina in his mind's eye. Johannes couldn't quite grasp the dream, but snatches of it were still there. He needed some strong coffee and something on his stomach before he packed and headed back to the lioness' den.

An hour later, Johannes was astride his mare, Hope, and heading to Lady Margaret's for a difficult discussion with his closest friend, Gerald. Grimes, the butler, admitted him quietly, for the hour was still early. He knew Gerald would be awake in his study and prayed the women were still abed.

"Is Lord Vinge in his study or breaking his fast, Grimes?"

"He is in his study, Your Grace. Would you like me to announce you?"

Johannes smiled at the man and grabbed his shoulder. "No. I know the way. Thanks, Grimes."

"Any time, Your Grace. Should I have anything sent... perhaps tea or coffee?"

"Grimes, you are a mind reader. I'd love a pot of strong black coffee."

Grimes bowed and left the duke to make his way below stairs. Johannes smiled at his retreating form and headed to face Gerald. He took a deep breath and rapped on the door, opening it without waiting for admittance.

Gerald was behind his desk, concentrating on his ledgers. Johannes walked into the room and cleared his throat. Gerald looked up, shook his head, and crossed his arms. "What in the blazes is going on with you and Miss Georgina Wakefield?"

"Oh, blimey," the Duke of Hayward said. "Can't I get a 'hello' or 'good morning, Lymington' before you lambast me?"

"No! What the hell is going on, chap?"

♥♥♥

I hope everyone is enjoying Johannes and Georgina so far. They are a firey and passionate couple!

Lady Lisa