Six

First Draft

Lady Margaret ushered Georgina away from what could become a scene and shouted orders to those around her. "Lymington, run along and settle the carriage for me. Son, you go back inside for Georgie's cloak and make haste."

"She tripped, and I was helping to tidy her hair," Johannes said out of the blue.

Georgina wasn't sure if she wanted to laugh or slap the pompous man. The look on his face read of guilt and tremendous discomfort. Good, she thought, resisting the urge to smile or stick her tongue out at him like a spoiled child. Even though she was searching for an excuse herself, it still irked hearing one flow from his lips. Lips that had explored hers, without a care in the world. Of course, he would scramble for a lie. He's a duke and I'm a common servant. Georgina understood his dilemma; so why was she hurt by his falsehood? Why was she raging inside? She didn't want to find herself in a compromising position with the bounder. Nor did she desire another scandal.

"Of course, you were helping her, dear boy," Margaret said to Johannes and winked at Georgina. "Now be a good lad and collect my carriage. I can't have my Georgie girl getting cold. And one more thing, Lymington..."

"Yes, Countess..."

"Do come straight to my residence as soon as you've dealt with the carriage."

"I'll let the driver know you are ready and I'll get my horse." Johannes strode away, his head hung low.

Margaret chuckled and wrapped an arm around Georgina, patting her. "Mabel, hand me your cloak, the child is cold."

"Tis fine, I am flushed and still warm from my... fall." Georgina put her hand up when Mabel offered the garment she had over her forearm.

"If you're sure, little missy..." Mabel asked, tilting her head.

They both know the truth. Hell, they probably all do, she thought with shame. 'Tis possible that Lord Gerald and Lady Eleanor may only suspect. Yet that did nothing to assuage her guilty conscience.

Lady Eleanor, who had been silent during the fiasco, said, "'Tis all my fault! I promised Georgina that I wouldn't leave her. I promised that one of us would always be with her."

Eleanor appeared so distressed that a new swell of remorse hit Georgina like a kick to the mid-section. "No, my lady! You mustn't blame yourself, please. The countess and Mabel were with me. I wasn't alone. I became over-heated, and they were engaged in conversation." She decided if Lord Lymington could lie, so could she. She added a small falsehood. "I told them I was going out for air. Mayhap I should have spoken louder." She looked between Mabel and Margaret, shrugging. "I am sorry for all the trouble I caused."

And more remorse, guilt, and shame weighed heavily on Georgina's shoulders. She decided right then that while the kiss was incredible; it wasn't worth lying to these people who were her friends. People who were like family, and Georgina was desperate to be part of a family.

"Trouble, puss?" Margaret cackled. "You've been involved in some of the trouble we've experienced before... this is nothing, child."

Gerald appeared with Georgina's cloak, and soon after, the carriage appeared. "Now let's get home and continue our celebration," said Lady Margaret when they were all seated for the ride home. "That was a splendid night."

"Madge, it was a crushing success," Mabel added.

♥♥♥

Johannes cursed himself repeatedly, standing beside his horse. She whinnied as if to say, "Are we going to stand here all night?"

He rubbed her soft neck. "Yes, Hope, I realize you are ready to ride. Unfortunately, because of my insipid activities, we cannot return home yet. I was very foolish tonight, girl. Very foolish indeed," he whispered to his new mare.

Johannes had made sure Gerald made good on his promise to purchase him a fresh horse after giving his favorite one away. Blakley made a deal with two ratbag ruffians who had kidnapped Lady Eleanor and Georgina. That deal involved their horses and a lot of blunt in exchange for the women. Johannes had named his new mare Hope, as a jest, hoping she would live up to Juliet's perfection. He missed Juliet and wouldn't give up trying to find her. "So far, girl, I'm impressed with you. Now, let's get this bloody night behind us."

Hope blew through her nose and stomped her hoof as if she understood his quandary. He was dreading this trip to Lady Margaret's, and that was a first. Johannes realized it was his own fault for acting out of lust for the alluring and sensual Georgina Wakefield. She shouldn't be so bloody beautiful. However, he understood actions had consequences and Johannes wouldn't blame her. He knew what he was doing and warned himself beforehand. If only he had listened to his logical mind instead of his illogical, amorous desires.

He felt like a real bounder for spouting that she had taken a tumble and he was fixing her mussed hair. How would he ever face her again? Although, it was the way of things and he couldn't put his mother or sisters through such a scandal. It would ruin their chances of landing a proper husband while giving his mother an apoplectic fit. Johannes felt he was a cad for taking liberties with the innocent Miss Wakefield. He vowed to make it up to her. I will also stay as far away as possible from Miss Georgina Wakefield.

She's much too tempting, and I am weak for her beauty and fearless temperament. He chuckled, thinking back to her fiery response to him. No woman had spoken to him like that before and damned if he didn't find it arousing.

Johannes handed Hope off to the stable hand with strict instructions for her care and threw the lad a coin. "Take good care of her for me." The young boy nodded his head in excitement. Johannes knew it was time to enter the lion's den. He squared his shoulders, relaxed his face, and headed for the door.

♥♥♥

I wonder what these two chemically charged love birds will do next? No, really... I'm actually wondering. I've said it before that my characters do as they please and it's true. But, I've not encountered characters like these two since I wrote my very first book, The Shipping Heiress. Maybe it has something to do with Georgina having red hair like Jade and myself? Who knows... but I had no idea they would be having midnight make-out sessions under the stars already, lol. And the Duke of Hayward isn't a redhead, so I'm not sure why he's so stubborn or not minding me. I am the author after all. I told him so and he didn't give one whit! Cheeky man... Until next time,

Lady Lisa