Twenty-Five

Second Draft

Her Majesty's Theater, London, 1863

The gas lighting gave off a subdued glow in the crowded theater. Despite not wanting to attend, she was in awe. Her Majesty's Theater was a sight to behold, and Georgina took in the beautiful burgundy seats—rows upon rows of them—and almost stumbled while glancing at the private boxes and opulence surrounding her.

A powerful arm grabbed Georgina's elbow, righting her, and she smiled to thank the man who acknowledged her with a wink. Henri Neufville was a very handsome man, but fitted out in his black tailcoat, stark white shirt, black, and silver waistcoat, and white cravat, Georgina thought him beautiful in a manly way.

Henri held out his arm, and she took it without hesitation as he helped her ascend the staircase to Lady Margaret's private box. She felt a rush of excitement at his touch and smell, teasing her senses. Georgina felt annoyed when Lady Penelope imposed herself on Johannes as they disembarked from the carriage, but she realized it was for the best. She understood Lady Penelope was a more proper fit per society and its expectations, yet hoped the Duke of Hayward would settle for someone different from the crass and conceited widow.

Besides, he's a toff and you detest the aristocracy, she reminded herself. Except for Lady Margaret and her family... Yet I could never detest Lymington, either. She couldn't help but smile at the thought.

Once everyone had taken their seats, Lady Margaret appeared pleased as punch. This confused Georgina, since Margaret had seemed hell-bent on pairing her with Johannes and keeping the obnoxious Penelope at arm's length, concerning the duke. It was useless, dwelling on what the countess had in mind, since Georgina could never be with him. She chanced a peek at Henri and felt her pulse quicken.

He is also far above my station, yet he has been very gracious to me. Mayhap he is smitten, she mused. And the idea not only took root but by the intermission, Georgina was flushed and fanning herself with vigor. Henri, while the epitome of a gentleman, had given her several subtle hints that she held his favor. So caught up in the brilliant performance and Henri's attention, Georgina had relaxed and was enjoying the moment. Her mother and Lady Penelope were long forgotten.

However, Johannes Lymington was more difficult to forget, but he only crept into her mind when she heard his voice or quiet chuckle.

When Lady Margaret sent the men for refreshments during intermission, Lady Penelope rushed from her seat, insisting she visit the ladies' retiring room. The countess shook her head and made a tsking noise. "I say, Mabel... that gel is a regular floozy!"

"Aye. She does act like a light skirt," Mabel confirmed.

"Well, she is a widowed woman..." Lady Eleanor pointed out.

"Yes, she is. But the conniving wench married a man thrice her age, biding her time until he expired." Lady Margaret beetled her brows. "And now she wants to sink her claws into Lymington."

"That shall never happen, Madge!" Mabel swayed her head.

"Pass me my brandy, my good woman." Lady Margaret held out her hand and Mabel obliged. After taking a hefty swig, she passed it back to Mabel, who held it out toward Georgina and Lady Eleanor, who both declined.

As Henri, Johannes, and Penelope returned, Georgina noticed the somber look on both men's faces, while Lady Penelope looked like a cat with cream. Henri and Johannes handed Eleanor and Georgina a refreshment and waited for Lady Penelope to take her seat, yet the woman remained standing, squinting down into the crowd.

Georgina felt the eyes of both men on her and peeked over her shoulder. Their forlorn expressions made her palms sweat, and she longed to rip off her silk gloves to dry her hands. She saw pity in their expressions, and her stomach sank as her mouth went dry. She gulped down the drink without caring what it was.

"Sit down, lass!" Margaret whispered. "'Tis rude to gawk and unladylike."

Ignoring the countess, Lady Penelope said, "I knew you looked familiar, Miss Georgina Wakefield!" A wicked smirk graced Penelope's painted red lips, and as Georgina's heart plunged, she watched the woman's attractiveness diminish. She was not the great beauty Georgina first thought. No, Lady Penelope was as ugly as her vicious ways.

"Take your seat at once, Lady Penelope!" Lady Margaret seethed in a command.

This time the woman obeyed the countess, the devilish grin still pasted on her mouth, and stared with glee at Georgina. "You are the notorious Lottie Wakefield's daughter! I'm sure you would like to catch up with your mother while she's here... with the disgraced and married baron!"

"That shall be enough from you, missy!" Lady Margaret said, steel lacing the countess's tone, her eyes thinned in a warning.

"Oh, but 'tis not enough! The baron ran off two years ago with that... that courtesan and vile woman, leaving his wife and young child behind to bear the scandal!" Lady Penelope looked toward the duke, yet voiced her vitriol loud enough for several ears.

Mabel leaned across Margaret and patted Penelope's hand. As the malicious Penelope turned at the touch, Mabel lifted her chin with one finger. "Child, if you do not stop spewing such vitriol, it shall force me to tan your hide right here, right now in front of everyone... Now that would be a proper scandal. Don't try me, lass..." Mabel tilted her head, arching a brow. Penelope gave a curt nod, and she removed her finger, but continued to regard the woman with scorn.

I've got to get out of here, Georgina thought, feeling like she couldn't breathe. Heat engulfed her chest, face, and ears as her heart pounded like a drum. Without thought, she sprung from her seat and ran from the box, holding back tears until she reached the staircase. Georgina hastened her steps when she heard footfalls behind her; and hoped to evade them in the throng of people during intermission if she made it to the bottom in time.

With no idea where to go, Georgina forced her way through the crush of people with no regard for propriety or politeness. She had to get out of the theater and away from the people she had considered family. Georgina could not face them or the disappointment that was sure to accompany their faces after finding out who she was.

She made it out into the chilly night and inhaled a lungful of air, but continued to run. I refuse to go back to the workhouse. She chanted it like a mantra over and over while she raced away, putting distance between herself and her shame.

Georgina cried as she ran, wiping her eyes and nose on the beautiful elbow-length gloves. Once far enough away, she hailed a hackney cab. "Are ye alright, miss?" the driver asked.

"Yes, thank you, but I am in a hurry." Georgina stood, trying to hold back the sobs threatening to escape.

"Where to, then? Ye ain't runnin' from some man, are ye?"

"No, but pray, I must go now. Do you want my coin or not?"

"Like I said... where ya goin'?"

Georgina said the first thing that came to her muddled mind.

"Wot? 'ave ye lost yer mind, luv? I cannot take ye there."

"Sorry, forgive me. Take me to a respectful inn tonight and I'll make plans on the morrow."

"Aye." He tipped his hat, opened the door, and helped her in. Georgina seated herself inside and continued to sob.

♥♥♥

Awww, poor Georgina and Lady Penelope is a real bitch! These poor girls always underestimate Lady Margaret; let's give it up for Mabel! She really put Penelope in her place. I love my feisty Margaret and Mabel! Please vote if you enjoyed the chapter. 

Lady Lisa