Twenty-Three

First Draft

Silence filled the conveyance as the driver trotted along and Georgina ignored Johannes by pretending to enjoy the view. Yet, he noticed her jaw tense and knew she was as uncomfortable as he was. After a good five minutes, he couldn't stand it any longer. "What do you think the Cunning Countess has in store for us?"

Georgina continued to stare out the small window, but he watched her body stiffen. "I fear I do not know, my lord, and can only apologize for the inconvenience."

Things were going downhill fast, and Johannes sighed. The audible noise caused Georgina to glance at him. "Why should you apologize for Lady Margaret when she's inconvenienced us both," he said, raising both brows and folding his arms over his chest.

"Because you are a duke and I would hazard a guess that you don't take to being abducted or tricked in this fashion. Not to mention shut up in a carriage with someone like me..." she trailed off, looking back out the carriage window.

"Someone like you? If I remember correctly, I asked you to join me, Miss Wakefield. So, whatever do you mean by that?"

With a huff of frustration, Georgina said, "I'm not who you think I am, and if you knew..." She turned back to face him, her expression pained. "You wouldn't be caught dead with me or invite me on carriage rides!"

Why are females so bloody confusing? "You are speaking in riddles." Johannes placed his elbows on his knees and studied Georgina as if he could read the secrets she held. "Enlighten me, then Miss Wakefield. If that is indeed your name. Why should I not be seen with you?"

"It doesn't matter, my lord, and I was wrong for allowing this..." She pointed between them. "This thing between us has gone too far. Pray, forgive me." Her eyes welled up and Johannes hoped like hell she wouldn't cry. Yet a lone tear escaped down her cheek and she turned back to the passing scenery.

Damn and blast! Should I comfort her? Why do they always cry? Georgina seems stronger than most. Yet here she is, shedding tears in front of me. The duke stood, ducking his head, and sat beside her. "Georgina, look at me," he whispered, and she shook her head. Stubborn chit! "All right, fine. Just listen then. I don't care who you are! And any man should be proud to be in your mere presence."

He heard her sniffling and resisted the urge to groan. Johannes was trying to stop her from crying, not make it worse. He pulled out his handkerchief. I'm rubbish at this, he thought and placed the cloth in her hand. "Please do not cry. I mean every word. Since the moment I met you, I've thought of little else but you." Georgina shook her head as a sob escaped her lips. Perhaps I should shut up.

She turned her body toward him, her face wet and red, yet a sad smile graced her lips. "Thank you for your kind graciousness, but if you knew my past..." She bit her lower lip before continuing. "You wouldn't feel the same. Trust me, my lord."

"But I would, Georgina," he whispered. "That's the problem... You could do no wrong in my eyes." Johannes lowered his face to hers and beamed at Georgina for a moment before peppering kisses across her eyes, wet cheeks, and trembling lips. He felt her intake of breath and deepened the kiss. Her arms wound around his neck and he knew everything he said was true. There was nothing that would change what he felt for the small spitfire in his arms. Johannes knew he wanted her, yet now understood he needed her, too.

If it were just him, he would marry Georgina and make her his duchess in a single heartbeat. But he had his younger sister to think about. His dukedom could handle the scandal, but his unwed sister wouldn't. Yet what secrets was she holding back? Johannes desired to know everything to figure out how to make Georgina his! He needed to speak with Lady Margaret. If anyone could navigate the choppy waters of the ton involving a scandal, it was the Crafty Countess.

As much as Johannes was enjoying the feel of Georgina's soft lips on his, he pulled away; yet held her by the arms and gazed deep into her eyes. After catching his breath, the Duke of Hayward announced, "I'm in love with you Miss Georgina Wakefield and you should know I plan on making you my duchess!" Damn if it didn't feel good to admit that to her and myself!

Georgina's eyes rounded as she tugged free from him, her back hitting the window, trying to put some distance between them. Her eyes never left his as she covered her mouth and shook her head before saying, "I—I don't know what to say! Wait. Yes, I do..." She reached out and caressed his cheek. "As much as I would love to scream 'yes' even though you didn't ask... it could never be." She looked down at her lap and fiddled with his handkerchief. "I love you, as well. That is why I can never accept."

"Just hear me out... Once my sister makes her debut and finds a suitable husband, we can wed. My dukedom will weather the scandal. Aristocrats have been marrying servants since... well, since forever. 'Tis hardly the earth-shattering ordeal you're making it out to be."

"You don't understand... there's more," she cried and turned back to the window.

"I'll wear you down, Miss Georgina Wakefield. You will be the Duchess of Hayward and I shall play dirty if I must. Lady Margaret will be on my side, too. Why do you think we are alone in this carriage?"

"You are making this worse for the both of us, my lord!" She swung back around, her expression one of anger.

"Pray, call me by my name, Georgina. And you are beautiful when vexed." He smiled a lopsided, cheeky grin, lifting one corner of his mouth.

"Listen to me, Lymington... While having your favor means everything to me, I can never marry you." Georgina placed her hand over her heart, her tone severe, and lips pulled down in a frown.

"Tell me why?" Johannes demanded, his mouth matching her frown.

"Because life isn't fair. I learned that a long time ago and if you care for me as you claim, you'll leave me be. I'm in a good place right now with Lady Margaret, but that will all end if you keep pursuing me."

"What do you mean? You speak in riddles again. Are you not Georgina Wakefield? Is that some alias to hide behind?"

Georgina giggled, and a bit of hope flared in his chest. "No 'tis not an alias. I'm who I claim to be."

"Then explain it to me! I'm at sixes and sevens over here!"

Her face fell. "I want to tell you, Lymington. And I trust you, but I need time."

The carriage rolled to a stop and Johannes was quick to seat himself back across from Georgina. He didn't want to sully her reputation, yet that would be an easy way to force her to marry him. But as much as he desired it, Johannes needed her to want it as much as he did. She must love me enough to stand up to her secrets and fears. And Johannes needed time... time to marry Sara off. He wouldn't break his mother's or sister's heart by being selfish.

Time is on my side, you little minx and I will wear you down, he mused as the others entered the carriage.

Lady Margaret's smile was as wide as Lady Penelope's long frown. Georgina was a beauty upset, but Penelope looked like she'd sucked on a lemon. It was all Johannes could do to hold in his mirth, and not chuckle at the irate Piranha Penelope.

♥♥♥

Awww! I'm dying over this chapter! I hope you guys love it as much as I do. And if so, show it some love by voting. Finally, Johannes... 

Lady Lisa