Nine

First Draft

Georgina stood in the back corner of the drawing-room, sipping on the large brandy Lady Margaret had poured her and fanning herself. She tried to appear nonchalant, happy even, but was failing. The Duke of Hayward had ravished and humiliated Georgina in a few hours. She cursed herself for falling into his arms like a floozy or a love-sick fool. Glancing at the object of her ire dancing with the countess, she reminded herself to smile when she felt the frown tugging her face down. He was staring at her again, so she smiled as if her life depended upon it. Georgina would never allow him to know how his words had wounded her.

She had tried to forget that kiss, yet it was all she thought of. Then his words would crash down on her, shattering that thrilling memory. Lord Lymington wants to forget our interlude, he said as much. So, why can't I forget it? So lost in her thoughts, her mind a million miles away; she jumped at the sound of his voice at her side.

"Would you honor me with a dance before I take my leave, Miss Wakefield?"

The absolute nerve of this rogue, Georgina mused to herself as she said, "Of course, Your Grace." She wanted to shout at him and tell him, "No, thank you, you rotten cad." However, that would be beyond the pale. She had already acted out of character enough for one night. She sat her fan and brandy down and slipped her hand into his large, warm one, allowing him to lead her to the small dance floor.

"Miss Wakefield..." Johannes started and glanced down into Georgina's eyes.

Suddenly self-conscious, she said, "Yes, Your Grace..." Georgina's mouth went dry, and she gulped.

"I wanted to speak with you in private, but I fear that can't happen. So, I asked you to dance. You see... I feel terrible about what happened—"

"Enough, Your Grace," Georgina interrupted. She couldn't take much more of his pity or obvious regret. "You have made yourself clear. Please do not worry so over such an insignificant kiss."

With brows raised to his hairline, he said, "I didn't find it insignificant."

Georgina cursed her flaming cheeks. "Well, if you fear I will tell someone or try to make you marry me..."

The duke of Hayward laughed, and that was the final straw for Georgina. Rude or not, she pulled out of his embrace and fled the room.

Johannes stood watching her retreating form.

"Lymington! What have you done now to that poor lass?" Lady Margaret stood beside her son, hands on her hips and tsked. "Well, don't just stand there like a bump on a log. Go after her, you oaf!"

🎔🎔🎔

Johannes ran from the salon. "Make it right, Lymington!" Lady Margaret's parting words echoed through his head in his quest to find Miss Wakefield. His mind was at odds with his heart. Johannes realized he was playing a dangerous game and should leave this instant. However, he couldn't bear the thought of hurting her. If he could form the words correctly, maybe she would forgive him. He wanted to return to London with a clear conscience.

Regardless of what she said, Johannes could tell Miss Georgina Wakefield hadn't been running around kissing men in the moonlight. While her inexperience showed, it did nothing to deter him or keep him from wanting her tentative lips on his again. Insignificant, my foot! The lady has pride and spunk. A combination I find highly attractive.

Johannes did not know which room was Georgina's. He tried every door before heading back the way he came. He descended the staircase chanting 'make it right.' The duke searched the kitchen, pantry, Gerald's study, and several parlors only to find them dark and empty. The only place he hadn't looked was the library at the end of the hall. He could see light under the door. He stopped short and swallowed hard. "Make it right, Lymington," he whispered to himself.

He turned the knob, hoping for silence, only for the door to screech as he pushed it open. "Go away, Your Grace. I want to be alone."

Johannes stopped at the threshold as indecision raced through his mind. I am stubborn too; he thought while making his way inside the quaint but elaborate library. "We don't always get the things we want in life, Miss Georgina. Life is funny that way and highly unfair. So tonight, you can't be alone until I've said my peace," he said to her back as she stared out the window at the inky night.

"Then say it, pray, and go."

"You wound me so." Johannes placed his hand over his heart, feeling silly since she couldn't see him. But she surprised him by spinning around.

"No more games, Your Grace. Say your peace." She crossed her arms over her chest. Defiance glittered in her eyes, and he inhaled a shaky breath.

This was going to be harder than he imagined. He moved forward cautiously and watched her eyes grow large. "I'm not the best at expressing myself." He held his palms out, begging her to understand. "So, pray, be patient with me."

"All right."

He cleared his throat as he watched her stony expression soften a bit. Johannes thought he may have imagined it, but the wrinkle in her frown was now missing from her forehead. "I have hashed everything up tonight and in order to make amends, I'm going to try being very honest."

She sighed and moved to an ornate cabinet. "Yes, you've been honest. You are sorry and we should forget it." Georgina opened the cabinet and pulled out a bottle and two glasses. She poured the amber liquid and turned back to face him. "Here..." Johannes walked toward her and the offering. "Go on. I will not bite you. Take the drink. I know you are sorry and I forgive you, Your Grace."

He didn't believe her. "That is kind of you, but I came to say my peace, remember?" Johannes reached for the glass, his hand touching hers as he grasped the drink. The gaslighting was low, casting her in its golden glow, and she'd never been more beautiful. Her hair shone and was now looser—no doubt from their moonlit interlude. Tendrils had fallen down her back and onto her delicate shoulders. He gulped before taking a long pull of his drink as she sipped hers, staring at him over the glass rim.

"The thing is... if I'm being honest... I like you, Miss Wakefield. I like you a lot, in fact. You've had me enamored from the moment I saw you." He sat his glass down and moved closer when she looked to the floor. "'Tis not just your exotic beauty, either. It stopped me in my tracks when I first laid eyes on you." He laughed as she glanced up at him with a grin gracing the side of her lips. "Tis everything about you," Johannes whispered and reached out to finger the silky hair hanging at her temple. He placed it behind her ear before using his index finger to lift her face up to his. "I like your fire and spunk. You move through a crowd like you're above everyone and I love—"

"I do not do that!" Georgina placed her hands over her flaming face.

"Maybe not on purpose, yet you do. You hold yourself like a regal queen who isn't afraid of anything. So, I wanted to kiss you. I have thought about it for a while." She was looking at the floor, and he lifted her face again before cupping her cheek. Georgina's hand came to rest on his, giving him the courage to continue. "What I said earlier... I did not mean. I enjoyed our moment far too much to forget it, and I apologize for spewing such poppycock."

"Thank you, Your Grace. I enjoyed it too."

"Oh, so you enjoyed that insignificant kiss, did you?" He grinned like a seasoned rake as she blushed, looking anywhere but at him. "The thing is... and this is the hard part of being honest... I shouldn't have kissed you. It wasn't fair to you. I took advantage of you and for that, I am sorry. Please say you forgive me."

Startling him further, she stood on her toes and kissed his cheek before soundlessly landing back on the thick rug. "You are forgiven, Lymington," she whispered with a watery wink, and it was his undoing.

🎔🎔🎔

Well! I wasn't expecting this in chapter 9. My characters are doing what they want no matter what I think. So, we will see where this leads, lol. Enjoy,

Lady Lisa