18: In Another Part of the World

Snow's gaze went to Chow Chow's open palm, then up to his smiling face. "I know what this is. You're pulling another prank on me, aren't you? You're going to spin me around and then say that we're elsewhere, right?"

He snorted. "No, but you're giving me ideas." He broke out in a charming grin, one that made his eyes crinkle at the ends.

Still, she regarded him with suspicion. "Promise it's not a prank?"

"I promise, Princess."

"Okay," she said, cautiously taking his hand. "But if this is another prank, you'd better watch out."

Only I am allowed to pull pranks, she thought. Poor Erden, he's always the recipient of my jokes, and he's too prim and proper to pull a fast one on me!

"Where are we going? And how are we getting there?" she said, pretending to close her eyes.

"You'll see. No peeking! I can still see you looking at me. And hold on tight, I don't want to lose you midway," he said.

"What?" She tightened her hold on his hand and screwed her eyes shut.

"Here goes," he said, and she felt a great force pulling on her whole body. Was she floating? Was she falling? She could not tell. The only thing she was sure of, was the reassuring sensation of his fingers gently squeezing her hand.

Is it too late for me to back out of this? Stealing a glance out of one eye, she saw her dim surroundings moving around her in a blur, and gradually becoming brighter. The motion was making her queasy, so she put a hand over her eyes.

"Okay, we're here," she heard him say.

Somewhere behind her, she could hear the sound of burbling water and birds chirping. She thought she heard a bee buzzing nearby. At this time of night? she wondered, her nose picking up a fresh, floral fragrance in the air.

"You can open your eyes now."

Snow lowered her hand from her eyes, and gasped at the sight of the most wondrous garden she had ever seen, filled with myriads of roses – in manicured bushes, climbing up brick walls, and hanging in graceful waves from wooden trellises.

Is this for real? Oh, the colors! she marveled. There were velvety roses in a seductive deep red, pom-pom-like flowers in vibrant orange and yellow; and sweet bunches of pink roses in every shade, from the lightest blush to the most intense fuchsia.

Other flowers bloomed in the garden too; tucked in between the roses, Snow spotted upright purple foxgloves, generous clusters of blue hydrangeas, and alliums bobbing their violet ball-like heads in the afternoon sun.

"Do you like it?" Chow Chow asked.

"Of course, I do! Where are we?" she said.

"In another part of the world, Princess," he said, beaming shyly at her.

"This garden is gorgeous!" she exclaimed, looking behind her at a tiered water fountain – the source of the sound of splashing water – framed by archways laden with white and pink roses. She turned back to him, and saw him kneeling by a rose hedge, looking like he was searching for something. After a moment, he stood up.

"Are these still your favorite?" Chow Chow said, holding a perfectly shaped rose between his fingers, in the shade of pink that she loved most.

"Yes, thank you." Snow took the offered rose, and noticed that he had snapped off the thorns beforehand. She brought the bloom to her nose and inhaled its heady fragrance. The delicate petals tickled her lips. "You remember."