25: Two Girls and a Dog

*This is something fun and light-hearted that I just HAD to include in this book, before we get to the more serious writing. I hope it's not disrupting the pace too much. Enjoy!*

֎֎֎֎֎

Princess, I'm sorry to wake you but I need to be let out, Snow heard a silky voice say in her head.

Not again! she thought as she turned to see a bright-eyed and bushy-tailed Chow Chow by her bed. "This has got to stop, I cannot be doing this every morning," she croaked. She hobbled out of bed, wincing at all the aches and pains from her training last night, and pushed open the door.

Thank you, I'll see you later! he said before dashing out. She closed her door with a bang, emitted a sound that was a mix between a yawn and a groan of pain, and toppled back into her bed.

She would have slept the whole day if she could, but at about midday, she heard her mother-in-law's voice outside her yurt. What is Mother doing here! she thought with horror as she leapt out of bed and got dressed faster than a soldier called up for war.

"I came to check on your foot," Oyunchimeg said when she bustled into Snow's yurt with her healer's bag. Her movements were efficient and fast when she unwrapped the bandages and inspected Snow's foot. "Any pain?"

"No, Mother, I don't feel any pain when I step with it," Snow replied, hoping that her mother-in-law did not notice her uncombed hair.

The older woman's eyes scanned her from head to toe, but did not comment on her appearance. She helped Snow to her feet and made her take a few steps.

"I'm surprised you've recovered so quickly. Maybe what you've had was a very bad sprain, though I could have sworn you had all the signs of a broken bone."

"Oh, yes, I thought so too," Snow said with a nervous laugh.

Oyunchimeg started packing her bag, which was filled with salves and medicine bottles – items that the leading clan healer would often use. "You're free to go out now. Just don't stress your foot too much, alright? Don't come back to me with another broken bone. I've got too many things to do as it is."

"Thank you, Mother! I won't!"

That evening, Snow waited at her door frame for Chow Chow to come home, with a bowl of warm food in her hands.

Princess, you've taken off your – oh, something smells yummy! he said as he trotted between the yurts towards her.

"Yummy, right?" she said, reaching into the bowl.

Chow Chow's pink tongue lolled out of his mouth and his round eyes sparkled like black diamonds when she dangled a choice cut of mutton in front of her.

That looks so tasty! Give me!

Upon seeing the eager look on his face, Snow felt like making him work a little harder for his dinner. She held the meat high up in the air. "Come and get it!"

He stood on his hind legs, and was about to close his maw around the piece of meat, when a dark blur swooped past. It flew by so quickly that Snow felt only a gust of wind ruffling her hair and the meat snatched out of her hand.

"Huh?" Snow said in puzzlement, staring at her now empty hand. Chow Chow also stared with his mouth hung open, but not for long. With an indignant howl, he chased after the bird that had stolen his dinner.

"Geriel!" she heard Erhi shout over Chow Chow's furious barking. "Sorry, Big Sister, I was bringing her back to her perch but she flew off. I don't know what came over her."