36: Something You Should Know

Whatever time they had that night flew by quickly. Snow tried and failed to shapeshift despite Chow Chow's patient urging, and by morning he was out the door, leaving her to sleep in. When she finally dragged herself out of bed, she busied herself packing Erden's and her things in anticipation of moving day.

After living a nomad's way of life for two years, Snow was accustomed to the moving, disassembling and reassembling of her yurt that took place every few months. Erden, who was organized and minimalist by nature, could pack all his things and be out the door within the hour. Snow, on the other hand, had way too many possessions; from her clothes to her cooking implements, her prayer altar and the bolts of fabric she received from Erden's family as wedding gifts. On top of all those, she had her carpets, bed, and stove to think about. 

What a monumental task! I can't do it alone! she bemoaned. Thankfully, Oyumchimeg assigned a few men to help take apart her daughter-in-law's yurt and load all her possessions onto the carts.

Chow Chow helped in his way by carrying Snow's buckets between his teeth to her cart. I'll see you at the new site! he said before dashing off, deftly avoiding her neighbors, who paid him no mind. Everyone could only travel at the livestock's pace, and Chow Chow intended to lead Qara's sheep to their new grazing grounds as quickly as he could.

I pity the sheep; he can be such a slave driver. For a moment, Snow imagined him barking orders, mobilizing his bleating sheep into formation like an army general.

Around her, men and women dismantled the white felt and wooden frames of their own homes, with Oyumchimeg overseeing everything. She had captained many moves over the years, and within an hour, they were all ready to march. The men traveled ahead on horseback with the livestock, while the women and children brought up the rear in their horse-drawn carts. They would leave nothing behind, in reverence for Mother Earth.

At the helm of her own cart, Snow joined behind the khan's grand yurt – transported in its entirety on a platform. If Erden was around, he'd be up in the front, herding the horses with the men. He was earlier informed of the intended move to familiar grounds; if he did not see them at the previous site, he knew where to find them.

Amidst the sounds of neighing, shouts and jangling cooking pots, Snow's thoughts strayed to her delicious husband. Oh, Erden, I miss you so. She chewed her lip, grateful that her wide-brimmed hat obscured her face. The things I want to do to you when you get back. She'd push him backwards onto their bed, climb on top of him, and rip his–

"Good morning, Big Sis! Fine day for moving, huh?" Erhi sidled up to Snow on her pony.

"Mother always chooses the best days to move," Snow said with a forced grin, fighting the urge to scream. Why do you always have such impeccable timing! Mercifully, Geriel was nowhere to be seen.

"That goes without saying." Oktai appeared beside his sister on his equally haughty-looking steed. "The Khan's wife always organizes the move. If she moved too late when the seasons changed, we'd all be in trouble."

Snow did not miss the pointed look he gave her. Are you saying that I can't do it? That I would get everyone in trouble?

Before she could reply, Erhi nudged her pony with her heels. "We'll ride up ahead, see you later, Big Sis!"

Oktai opened his mouth like he was about to say more, but then thought better of it. He trotted after his younger sister without another word while Snow seethed.

The nerve of that boy. She wanted to prove him wrong, but deep down, she knew he was right.

The procession of yak, sheep, horses and people rumbled over vast green steppes, while mountains loomed in the distance with their misty shrouds. Snow's heart palpitated when they passed the pine forest, and she was glad to leave the eagle and the wolves of that fateful day behind. If not for Chow Chow, she'd be long dead, she thought somberly.