38: A Gift

Snow thought that her mother would be alarmed by the Empress's intrusion but instead, Aoko breathed a sigh of relief. "You startled me, Lìyè."

"I got so worried, Sister. When you had not returned by sunrise, I thought–" Lìyè paused in her steps when Chow Chow growled in Aoko's arms.

"Hush now, Zhao Zhao. Sorry for making you worry, I'm back now," Aoko said warmly. "Did anyone give you trouble?"

"No, I had the foresight to put a Sleeping Spell on the servants." Lìyè circled the room to light the lanterns, never taking her eyes off the dog for long. "What a ferocious creature you've brought back."

The last time Snow saw Empress Hu in the Jade Palace, she had been intimidating in her bejeweled headdress and dragon robes. Here, however, her long, glossy hair was unadorned, and she appeared wide-eyed and girlish in delicate green robes. Lìyè, like budding leaves in spring. Is she even the same person? Why is my mother so friendly with her?

Chow Chow, on the other hand, snapped its small jaws at her. I'll show you ferocious, Snow heard it say.

"Zhao Zhao, be nice. I couldn't leave it behind," Aoko said, looking down at her dog. "Winter will be here any time now. The rest of the dogs we rescued are safe but this little one. . . may not survive in the wild. Also, I figured I might need a companion for the lonely days ahead."

Not exactly a lie, Snow thought.

In the light, Lìyè's eyes had momentarily turned amber with slitted pupils like a fox's, though they slowly returned to their dark, human state as she approached. "A companion? But you're about to have a baby. And you have me! Unlike your useless maids, I didn't sleep a wink waiting up for you," she said with a pout.

"Don't be angry, Sister." Aoko pinched her cheek in a playful manner. "What would I do without you? You must be famished. Why don't you stay for tea?"

Lìyè seemed pacified by the offer and returned Aoko's genial smile. "How can I stay mad at you? You've always been so kind to me. I'd stay, but" – her gaze flickered to Chow Chow – "we earth foxes are afraid of dogs."

"Oh, how inconsiderate of me! Of course, give me a moment."

No, don't put me away! Chow Chow struggled in Aoko's arms all the way to her bedchamber.

"Can you stay put? Zhao Zhao!" It leaped out of her arms and pawed at the closed door to get out. Slipping out of her grasp like an eel, the dog ran about the room, nearly knocking over a porcelain vase.

"I shouldn't have acted like that," Chow Chow said beside Snow, sounding contrite. "I don't know what had gotten into me. It was part of my nature in that form. If I hadn't been such a terror, I could have. . ."

A bolt of white light struck the lapdog and it fell onto its side.

What happened? I can't move!

"Forgive me, Zhao Zhao. It's only temporary, your limbs will be unfrozen after fifteen minutes." She gently picked it up and placed it, stiff like a wooden doll, onto the table. In a whisper, she added, "I can't risk a commotion now, or have you reveal yourself. You cannot let her or anyone know who you really are, remember?"

Aoko!

"Be a good boy," she said, patting him on the head.

Her flowing clothes transformed as she exited; she was no longer a celestial being, but an Emperor's concubine in a demure, icy blue robe. Through the gap between the doors, Snow saw Lìyè seated on a silk-cushioned daybed in the receiving area. With a wave of her hand, Aoko made a tea set together with a plate of dainty biscuits appear on the small table beside them.