28: Stranger Things Have Happened

Gravel crunched beneath the soldiers' boots as they marched in sync on either side of Erden's black stallion.

If they take me prisoner, I will not go down without a fight. His muscles tensed in anticipation of a grossly unfair brawl as he discreetly wrapped the reins of his horse around one hand, leaving his other hand free to draw his scimitar.

As he neared the end of the tunnel, he saw that his welcoming party was a compact figure on horseback, flanked by two fearsome-looking soldiers. He said a silent prayer of thanks to the Sky God when he recognized the oval-shaped face beneath the general's helmet.

"Your Highness. Why is it whenever I see you, you're being antagonized by my men?" General Liang snarled. The soldiers in the tunnel flinched at her rebuke.

Erden pressed his lips together to hide a smile. It was true that the last time she appeared, he had been hemmed in by Commander Tai's soldiers, who had their sabers against his neck. The Empress's commander had just been threatening to clap him in irons when General Liang arrived with her soldiers.

"General Liang. Your timing is always excellent. What brings you this far north?"

Her battle-hardened expression remained fierce like a tiger's but her low voice was cordial. "The Palace received your envoy about two weeks ago. This way, Your Highness." She motioned for him to ride beside her, before barking orders to her lieutenants to deal with Colonel Heng and his men.

"I did not expect our envoy to arrive at the Palace so quickly," Erden said as they rode through a bustling camp that was being set up by the Wall.

"He didn't have to travel far," came her cryptic reply.

Soldiers saluted them as they passed. "Your Highness! General!" they said in unison. Some looked at him in surprise, until their eyes fell upon the green dragon pendant on Erden's chest. "Your Highness!"

"Are you stationed in the north now, General?" he asked, wondering why the Emperor's highest ranked general was sent to this far-flung post.

"I'm not, Your Highness. When His Majesty received your envoy's report of the intrusion and request for an explanation, he hastened his tour around the Kingdom to get here."

"His Majesty?"

Weilong is here?

"It's part of the inspection tour. And I think His Majesty anticipated you would be here, from what your envoy said. Though I'm curious as to why you would officially send an envoy, and demand for information here yourself at the same time."

"Yes, well, I'm carrying out the Khan's orders." Erden caught a bitter undertone in his own voice and saw General Liang glancing at him from the corner of her eyes.

"I'll take you to His Majesty. But my men will have to relieve you of your weapons, if you don't mind, Your Highness."

"I understand."

֎֎֎֎֎

The guards stationed outside the Emperor's yellow tent saluted the General and Erden when they neared. A soldier announced his arrival, and Erden's heart pounded as he strode in.

"Your Majesty," he greeted formally with a bowed head, and a fist and palm salute.

"Erden."

The familiar baritone voice, which he thought he'd never hear again, comforted him like the warmth of a campfire on a cold night. He blinked back the sudden moisture in his eyes while keeping his head bowed, as General Liang requested to take her leave. Erden waited for the general to exit the tent before raising his head to meet Weilong's steely gaze.