Chapter fifty

Layla

My mind is a whirl of confusion. Why Baymin wanted to keep me in Miscellania is a wonder but motivation for answers and the urge to land strives through me and I focus on that. still a little wobbly in the air but grow stable once my feet touch solid ground near the three disused office buildings.

     "Hey not bad for your second fly" Zack compliments. 

I was in more control of myself this time. I'm getting used to flying but I would still rather walk. 

When we caught up with Zack, Jordan and Abbey, Zack kept doing tricks and spins so confidently and finely-tuned. He even got Jordan to do a twist but I just kept my thoughts and movements straight so I didn't lose control again. 

Now that I've landed, I feel totally different. There's a sort of power. It feels like electricity sparking and surging through my veins. I'm not even in my angel armour so this is weird. I also feel oddly confident, massively more than I do normally anyway. 

Lakeintown is quiet which makes me wonder of the threat that lies in wait. 

I inhale deeply, closing my eyes at the serenity of the city though this doesn't last long as I pick up on some noises. Focusing on them, I come to realise they are voices, but they aren't from Maylock, Jordan, Zack or Abbey. They are other people. 

Other people?

While most of the voices are echoed, some solidify into words I can process. Some are chatting about their day and there are children wailing and chuckling in joy. I can hear them talking about the Guardians and that they saw us fly over here. I can sense their worry in their voice, their anticipation of the danger that we should have located by now. Some are leaving, packing up their mats, kites and food. 

Wait, kites? 

Am I hearing people who are in the park? 

     "Let's go" Maylock suddenly bellows down my ear and I wince from the sound of him. His voice seems to have spliced off my connection to the other voices. Did I just imagine voices? Am I going mad? 

Maylock, Abbey, Zack and Jordan start to run ahead of me and I realise that they all have their angel armour layered on them. I didn't even see them activate their angels. I was too focused on the voices... 

I manage to catch up to them easily and we reach the Spire. 

Zack's armour has circles of different sizes etched into his abdominal area, similar to Maylock's hexagons but they rise up and get fewer in numbers when they reach his chest. Jordan's armour is marked with lightening bolts that trail their own pathways across his chest, arms and legs. Abbey has a short dark crimson cape and her arms are scattered with etchings of triangles. An interlocking sword and shield are engraved on everyone's armour in a different place. Jordan's is on his right thigh, Zack has one on his arm and Abbey's is on her lower calf. 

A few pieces of rubbish swirl in the wind near the stairs leading up to the Spire. The sight annoys me. For such a wonderful city, I don't get why people can't put their wrappers in a bin. It doesn't take much to use them. 

I look up at the twisted base of the Spire and follow the skyscraper all the way to the top where the large golden sphere sits and the pointed thin antenna adding to the already defying height. This sight does unease me but I would rather be on the ground looking up than on the viewing platform looking down. 

     "What exactly is the threat?" Zack asks as we all look around for the danger. 

Everything seems normal until a loud crash rifles down my ear canal and I bring my hand up to cushion the noise. Why am I hearing all these things? I am so confused but the sparking confidence I felt before hasn't differed. I think it has actually doubled within me