24: a quarrel.

Celeste's hand grabbed ahold of mine. I could hear her talking. But, all I registered was Melanie asleep on my chest as I sat stoically on the couch of my sister's new home.

Tom was on the phone with whoever in the kitchen. I had called my sister and her lover before practically running to their house immediately once Owen had called and told me to leave my house.

I closed my eyes for a second and took a deep breath. I looked at Celeste. Her face deep in worry as she watched me.

"Everything's going to be fine." I tried to reassure her.

"You're the one who should be freaking out right now." She shook her head.

"How's the baby?" I avoided the subject by looking down at my own daughter before looking to my sisters flat stomach.

"Very small. Very annoying. I keep getting headaches and I have to lay down until they go away." She pouted, I laughed.

"You got the easy stuff. I couldn't even breathe without throwing up." I smiled, looking down at Melanie.

" 'lright... 'our not going ta like this." Tom came into the living room with us, sitting down in front of Celeste, and I.

"What?" I said a little too quickly.

"Tha brother we 'll hate brought his mafia buddies. They threaten'd Stu n' Helen." He explained, I raised a brow in shock.

"What the fuck! Dean has always been so cool! There is no way he's involved with the mafia. No way!" Celeste shook her head, forcing a laugh.

"Well, love... it's true." Tom said to her, sitting beside her.

"Is everyone okay? What's happened?" I frowned, rubbing my hand across Melanie's back.

"Dean's friends mus'ta followed 'im home." Tom started while I bit my lip.

"Is Bret okay?" I couldn't help but ask.

"Kat..." He put his head down.

"Oh god." I choked up a sob, adjusting my daughter over my chest and onto my shoulder as I felt tears prick at my eyes.

"He's at the hospit'l." Tom said softly.

"Owen 'as tha cops at tha house 'ow." He explained, a frown on his face.

"Davey...?" Celeste said softly, Tom gave her a grunt in response.

"Headed ta jail."

I sniffled, standing up and rubbing my daughter's back as I walked towards the window. I closed my eyes, hoping, praying that Bret wasn't hurt. 

And wondering jusy what had Dean gotten into.

"Ya didn't let meh finish..." Tom said from beside me. I turned to him, opening my eyes as tears spilled out.

"He's fine Kat. Bret just has a gash above 'is eye. A nasty one though." He chuckled out.

"Oh.... thank god." I cried out, falling into his arms.

He chuckled, rigid for a second before he patted my back softly. Melanie cooed from my shoulder, causing me to laugh. Pulling back, my daughter's confused face and brown hair stuck up in a few places made me smile.

"Go see uncle Tommy, mommy needs a drink." I hummed, nuzzling her nose against mine.

"Uh...." Tom began as I shifted Mel into his arms.

"You're about to be a dad, big guy. Better get used to this." I smirked, walking into the kitchen area where Celeste was standing with a water glass in her hand.