Chapter 3

Dark Cacao stormed off, trying to think of a place where he could relax from the heated fight he had with his father.

Your idea of prosperity is much different than mine. The words wouldn't leave him alone.

"He's gone senile," he muttered under his breath as he stomped down the corridors of his palace.

"Sire-?"

"Yes, I'm fine, Milk Bread cookie. Move."

The old maid backed up to leave room for the infuriated prince as he stormed into (Y/N)'s room.

———

The door flew open and slammed on the wall, puncturing the fine wallpaper in an instant.

"Who's there?" (Y/N) managed to utter.

Dark Cacao cookie silently approached the foot of her bed before planting his face into the dark blankets. She recoiled a bit from his strange behavior.

"I just needed to calm down. Apologies," his words were muffled.

(Y/N) curled her legs up to her torso as she forced herself to sit up, looking down at the prince. He slowly lifted his head and readjusted his hair before looking at her like a civilized cookie. "So you can finally speak now?" he inquired calmly.

(Y/N) tilted her hand side to side to signal 'so-so'.

"Damnit.. I mean- good! So you're recovering well?" he flipped his hair back before coming to the side of the bed to sit on the chair scooted up next to her.

(Y/N)'s face fell as if to say "I heard that." Dark Cacao let go of his fake grin.

"Sorry, I was hoping to speak with you about something you can't tell anybody. But it seems like you'll be able to gossip a bit, won't you?" his head tilted when she shrugged playfully.

"I should've assumed you would fight off serious injuries like this. Hell, you got through a blizzard and still managed to survive a year long journey solo. Just what does your recipe include to make you so tough?" (Y/N) looked at the dough of her hand for a second, not sure how to respond.

"Just as unsure as I am?" he asked. She nodded in response.

"But... I'm not... stronger... than you..." (Y/N) strained.

His face blanked into deep thought for a few moments. "How so?"

"You are... prince..."

Dark Cacao chuckled at her statement. "Haven't I told you? I don't feel royal. In fact, I think that you would be better royalty than me." He pointed his finger at her. "The experience and strength I'm sure that you have gained from your journey? It's unbeatable."

"Experience... not all... it takes..." she whispered.

"Tell that to my father. He would disagree in a heartbeat," the words seemed to have slipped out of his mouth. (Y/N) paused and gave him a concerned expression as he looked away in embarrassment.

"Thing.. you wanted.. talk?" she questioned.

Her eyes tried to find his, but his hair was covering his face as he sulked in shame. (Y/N) worried that she was pushing him too much. She weakly reached out to console him, but his hand gently stopped her from doing so.

"I've said too much. I didn't mean to bother you with my problems," Dark Cacao muttered, his face still concealed.

(Y/N)'s hand dropped to her side as she wistfully stared at him cowering. The prince began to sniffle, but he quickly got up and gave her his back before she could point it out.

"Thank you for your time," were the last words he said before making his exit.

———

One of the elder cookies stepped in to the room a couple of seconds after Dark Cacao had exited and gave an unreadable expression to (Y/N). She looked back at her, equally as confused on how to react.

"I heard everything from outside, he really is something else," the elder tried to joke.

"Milk Bread... your.. name?" (Y/N) panicked as she tried to change the subject. She wasn't in on talking about the prince's secrets.

"Yes dear, but that's not important right now. Did he do anything to you? Did he touch you in any way?" Milk Bread cookie hurried over and picked up (Y/N)'s arms, examining for any injuries he might have caused.

(Y/N) swiftly retracted her arms and shook her head no, scooting away from her caretaker. Milk Bread realized what she was doing and folded her hands together stiffly. "Apologies, I'm just worried because of your condition, anything can suddenly make you get worse."

(Y/N) could almost taste the bitter tang of something being wrong, but she kept quiet.

The elderly maid readjusted her silvering cream bun before sitting down at the same seat Dark Cacao was.

(Y/N) bowed her head and looked at the large silver platter of jellies set upon her nightstand. Milk Bread quietly placed the platter on (Y/N)'s lap as she straightened her legs out from being pressed against her chest. A heavy period of silence fell between the two cookies as (Y/N) began to eat her food.

"I'm just happy that you're okay, dear," Milk Bread murmured. (Y/N) ignored her and continued to eat.

Milk Bread scooted closer to her, trying to seek a way to gain her attention again. "Once again, I'm sorry. It was an accident."

(Y/N) set her fork down and looked over to the elderly cookie. "I don't.. want to... talk about-"

"I know dear, and you don't have to. Whatever went between you two stays between you too, I promise not to tell anybody about the conversations you both had when I was outside," Milk Bread blurted at a rapid pace.

(Y/N) noticed the sincerity in her words. She relaxed a little, but only popped another jelly in her mouth. She became lost in her thoughts as Milk Bread's eyes were turning desperate to receive her forgiveness.

(Y/N) gulped and looked back to her.

"Secret stays... with us."

Milk Bread warmly smiled, patting the bed near (Y/N)'s rested hand. "I promise nobody will know."

(Y/N) nodded before returning to her jellies.

———

As the sun fell to its daily slumber, the night watchers were put on duty to look after the darkened landscaped of the Cacao Kingdom.

The cookie bounded through a corridor, holding a heavy bag that faintly glowed purple through the holes of the sackcloth. They stopped before a short door at the end of a hallway, creaking it carefully on its hinges.

With the nimbleness of a mouse, they snuck next to the cookie inhabiting the bed, engulfed in sleep. The sack opened to reveal the same sword that had been left by Dark Cacao.

The cookie took it out of the bag and tucked it under the covers, careful not to awaken the cookie. It soundlessly slid comfortably, far away enough from the dreamer as to not signal its presence. The thick blankets concealed the bright neon shine of the soul stone.

The cookie held tight to the empty sack and bounded off, leaving without any traces of an intrusion.

Word Count: 1008