Chapter 18

I'm on vacation right now, so here's a short and "sweet" chapter for you guys!

After their horses had scampered away from the fighting ring that had left a few casualties, the soldiers and the king had no choice but to shelter somewhere nearby. The men continued deeper into the forest with their cargo on their backs. The king, at the head of the party, stopped abruptly, shushing the men once more.

"Somebody clear the cave, check for any traces of animals staying in it," the king commanded. Instantly, two cookies drew their swords and checked around, their eyes darting cautiously.

The only thing left inside of the cave was a small pile of rocks and some ashes scattered on the floor, but no animals. The men signaled that it was safe, and the group entered the cave with heavy, exhausted steps.

"Whew... finally somewhere dry in this whole place," one soldier spoke up, kicking a rock away from a corner to leave room to rest. "I'm surprised that nothing's staying in here."

The king had stopped down, running his hand along the floor and inspecting the ash that coated the walls and floor. "Mhm. It is very strange..."

"Move it, I already put my stuff there," another soldiers complained, quarreling with another soldier.

"I was here first!"

"SILENCE!" the king shouted, instantly silencing the men. "We do not have the time nor the energy to spare whining at each other. Take out your sleeping bags and go to sleep."

The men scrambled to unpack their bags, laying down and curling up in their cramped spaces. The king settled near the mouth of the cave, seemingly unphased by the biting cold that nipped at his face. He looked out upon the dense foliage, the moon struggling to peer through the trees and sugar snow. His eyelids fluttered, weighted with exhaustion, and he tried to fight it back as he took in the scenery.

But then the moonlight hit something right in front of him, something purple and red, halfway concealed by the veil of snow. Curiosity took a hold of him in a second seeing the irregularity. Getting up, he inched closer to it, looking down carefully. His gut dropped when he realized what it could be.

"No..."

There, alone in the snow, was blood-soaked fabric from the Cacao Kingdom.

Word count: 379