Chapter 31

A BIIIIG shoutout to @cutegalaxyqueen for the fanart of Milk Bread cookie and Sopapilla cookie!! Check out the art book!!

"I don't know what I was doing, I just got so caught up and I-"

"No, don't worry, (Y/N), please it's fi-"

"I shouldn't have done this with you! I feel horrible for this! All of this!" (Y/N) clutched her gown to her chest, desperately trying to cover herself up out of guilt. "I was mad at you in one moment and then the next I just.. I don't know!"

Dark Cacao gave her a confused but sad stare, trying to understand why she had suddenly had an outburst when they first woke up. He had opened his eyes, placing his hand in her hair and stroking it gently out of the way to rouse her from her nap on his chest. At first when she finally awoke, she had looked up to him with a small smile which caused him to violently blush when he remembered what had happened that morning. But quickly it seemed as though she realized too, and recoiled off of him, disgusted with herself.

"I mean, your father hates me, your advisor hates me- hell, the whole kingdom hates me right now! And what am I doing? I'm screwing the lost prince right behind their backs when we're hiding right next to them!" she exclaimed, ruffling down her gown and putting her undergarment back on. "I should have never come here with you. I would be better off dead."

The prince quickly slid his undergarment on as he stood from the couch, trying to calm her down. "(Y/N), don't say that, did you not hear the words that came from me? I wanted that moment with you. Frankly, I don't give a damn about what my father nor the kingdom says anymore!"

"But that's what I was trying to get you to realize," her eyes darted awkwardly away as she tried to look for an escape. "You got so caught up into me that you forgot everything else."

She stopped in her tracks whenever a thought popped into her head. Dark Cacao noticed and furrowed his brows out of hurt.

"(Y/N)... I don't think we actually-"

"I have enough to deal with right now. I can't be bearing your child, it'll be an outcast and I'll have this Scarlet Letter blazing on my chest."

"I'd be the happiest cookie alive to know we'll have a child! Imagine! We already made a promise! You showed me how I could keep my promise and you can too! This just means we're moving forward, away from everything else," Dark Cacao swiftly grabbed onto her hand, holding it there while he begged.

But all he saw in her eyes was the clouded vision of pent up emotions threatening to overflow. No joy, no love, just pain. He'd hurt her more than he could ever imagine just by pursuing his love for the cookie who needed anything but that.

"We're being foolish, Dark Cacao."

"I'm sorry.."

"Let me go," she whispered, and her hand softly slid out between his.

She silently walked out of the cottage while he stared, seeing nothing but her back facing him.

In his mind, the sensation of their dough pressed against each other felt more distant. So blurred, unnatural, distorted from how he once thought it felt before. Every touch left burn marks scaling across their surface, an aching reminder of what they both regretted doing. Permanently etched onto their bodies.

They had just returned to where they had started before.

Alone.

Both of us.

———

"Are you sure you have no more room left for tonight?"

"You doubt that I know? It's packed!" the innkeeper huffed, shooing away her cat which had rubbed itself against her ankle. "Maybe tonight I'll have some room for ya, bud, but not right now."